Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Jetta 118TSi Fuel Economy and Known Issues

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknite View Post
    Around 15 to 18Ks KMs , how much u paid for ur insurance n how much a 20K Cam Hybrid would depreciate in 3 years time .
    15k-18k pa isn't an exceptional amount of mileage. If you do 18k/pa and car A gets 7L/100 & car B gets 9L/100 then it's only $10/week difference. Have you spread-sheeted your expected motoring costs?

My insurance costs are irrelevant to your situation.

Look up Redbook for depreciation predictions but if you are buying a 2 year old car then depreciation won't be a huge issue unless you buy badly.

The Jetta diesels & 147tsi are really nice cars - much nicer than a Camry but don't expect them to be the cheapest car you've ever owned.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    While the early 118 twin chargers have a pretty ordinary record, the later ones don't seem to have anywhere near the same level of reported issues. I think that the community was burnt by all the early ones it's given the later ones the same bad rep. From what I've read over the years the Polo GTI that uses the same engine hasn't suffered nearly as badly which seems to support the theory that it's all about the tune.

Now I have one of those engine in my Cab, the later build and it's been tuned from early on so fuelling in the tune is sorted, 3 years and going still strong (not to temp the automotive gods) and it's a brilliant engine!

Of course, if I was buying again today I wouldn't but another one as long as I could get the same or more power from an alternative.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I would look for a new shape 2014 Toyota Corolla sedan,its passenger space is roomy,and its boot is almost as big as a Jettas.

Way better reliability and quality than a Jetta.

Dont think Corolla 2014 would fall in my 16-18K bracket .

Users Country Flag
    You can find plenty of Jetta's in dealerships in that price range, still be under it's factory warranty and it could likely be extended if that gives you piece of mind. Something you could look at negotiating with the dealership as part of any deal, why not be 100% honest, tell them why you are concerned and make sure whatever they offer covers the driveline. Bottom line you can always walk away if you're not comfortable.

Sadly the 147TSI is going to be over $20k

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

You could also look at Mazda 3 — good gadget, I prefer them to Corolla nowadays.

Users Country Flag
    My inlaws have a 2014 Corolla hatch. I would not describe it as roomy or having a big boot (although the sedan would be bigger). I'm also suprised at how low-budget the finish is. Very disappointing - for rusted on Toyota lovers only.

They only paid $22k for it new so I'd assume 12m old would be $4-5k less
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

The Corolla hatchback is disappointing,with a tiny boot and no rear legroom.
    The sedan is a completely diffirent design,and newer as well,but hard to find any used ones under $20000.

Mazda 3 sedan is also a great car,but also out of budget.

Maybee Jetta is the best buy for that money...

Users Country Flag
    Plenty of 2012 103kw tdi out there within budget & reasonable mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknite View Post
    Hi guys ,

I am inclined towards buying a 2013 used VW Jetta 118TSi model , VW says fuel economy while doing city driving is 7.7 , want to confirm if thats the case in real world or not. Also are there any known issues with this year's Jettas.

FYI - I have 16-17 grands that I can use to buy a new(read used) mid size/family car which I want to use for weekend uber purposes as well , Also I think I will keep it maximum for 3 years not more than that so would be nice to know depreciation on Jettas as well.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated .

Thanks !!

Hey mate, I drive an '08 Golf GT Sport running the 125kw 1.4L tsi engine. Although it has a few extra kw over the 118 tsi engine it lists the same 7.7L/100km average fuel consumption. I can confirm that this is fairly close to accurate. On a full tank of 98 ron fuel (costs me about $65-70 for a full tank) I will drive around Brisbane doing both short trips to the shops and also a few longer drives such as 45 min down to gold coast. The best consumption I've got out of the full tank was 680km and the worst I've got is 550km.

Coming from driving a straight 6 mitsubishi magna that did 400km off a $90 91 ron fill up, its a massive improvement!
    MY08 Golf GT Sport MKV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast