Thread: 2008 gti bluetooth issues.

Users Country Flag

2008 gti bluetooth issues.

Help a noob out please,
    I'm trying to pair my iphone with my car but i cant figure out if my car has bluetooth or not. It has the phone button on the steering wheel so id assume so? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I think all wheels are common and have the button.
    My car had an aftermarket BT fitted which I've disconnected. So it's not consistent in my experience...

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
    Current - 2007 Golf GTI, DSG, RCD510, K&N Panel Filter, BSH PCV revamp, Bluefin Stage 1 tune, 18" Omanyt's with RE003s.
    Previous - 2003 Renault Clio Sport 172 - Flame Red. -Gone-

Users Country Flag
    It's likely that your car doesn't have a factory Bluetooth module. I think it was a cost option and so the phone button won't actually do anything.

However, you have an aftermarket head unit so it may have its own Bluetooth module (it was a common way for people to easily add BT - it's how I did it in my GT Sport). Therefore you will need to pair your phone with the head unit rather than the car (if that makes sense).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    It's likely that your car doesn't have a factory Bluetooth module. I think it was a cost option and so the phone button won't actually do anything.

However, you have an aftermarket head unit so it may have its own Bluetooth module (it was a common way for people to easily add BT - it's how I did it in my GT Sport). Therefore you will need to pair your phone with the head unit rather than the car (if that makes sense).

Ive had a look through the headunit there isnt a bluetooth option unfortunately

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoz View Post
    Ive had a look through the headunit there isnt a bluetooth option unfortunately

OK. So you have a couple of options but both are going to cost $$.

1. Buy a factory BT module, fit it and get someone with VCDS to code your car to see it.

(There are a couple of different versions depending on how much functionality you want and whether you have a full height or half-height MFD, plus you probably have to get through the headlining to reach the factory microphone position. A Google session will give you all the info).

2. Replace your head unit with a new one that has a built-in BT module (preferably a Parrot one as they are generally very good).

This will probably cost a fair bit more but will be easier on the installation and won't require any re-coding of the car (but the buttons on the wheel still won't do anything). You should also be able to add a reversing camera and get some Andriod Auto/CarPlay functionality too with this path.

MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    OK. So you have a couple of options but both are going to cost $$.

1. Buy a factory BT module, fit it and get someone with VCDS to code your car to see it.

(There are a couple of different versions depending on how much functionality you want and whether you have a full height or half-height MFD, plus you probably have to get through the headlining to reach the factory microphone position. A Google session will give you all the info).

2. Replace your head unit with a new one that has a built-in BT module (preferably a Parrot one as they are generally very good).

This will probably cost a fair bit more but will be easier on the installation and won't require any re-coding of the car (but the buttons on the wheel still won't do anything). You should also be able to add a reversing camera and get some Andriod Auto/CarPlay functionality too with this path.

Have you had any experience with the rns 510?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by marcoz View Post
    Have you had any experience with the rns 510?

Yes, I fitted one to my Tiguan, along with the reversing camera. Functionally, it's OK but probably not as good as it could be.

The head unit install is very easy (pull the dash apart and it bolts straight in). The RVC was tricky as I had to take all of the bootlid apart. I got it all done in about 2-3 hours.

However, that will need VCDS coding to do its thing. I got another forum member to do the basics and get it up and running but the Dealer actually finished the MFD coding off for me as a favour at its first service!

It's a good unit, just buy one with an SSD rather than HDD as it's much faster.

MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold