Thread: 125tdi 210,000 km service..water pump replacement??

125tdi 210,000 km service..water pump replacement??

I'm nearly due for the 210,000 km service. The timing belt is being replaced which I expected, but i was told that the water pump also gets replaced as part of the scheduled service. Is someone yanking my chain or has this become the norm with the 125tdi engine? It puts the service cost over the 1500 mark as opposed to about 1000 without the water pump. I'd appreciate other peoples expertise and advice..cheers!
    Last edited by Kenju; 20-07-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I'm no expert, but the water pump is generally driven off the timing belt, so it makes sense to change the water pump at the same time - otherwise the timing belt service would essentially have to be repeated to change the water pump at a later time. Take a look at this thread (top photo) for VW CJAA and CBEA 2.0 TDIs and you should be able to see what I mean. I don't have any specific knowledge of the 125TDI but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to help you out.

How to install and replace new timing belt on VW Jetta TDI 2005 2006 2005.5

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    You'd be mad not to do it now while it's all apart. They leak at the best of times.

Doing the water pump is an extra three bolts, new coolant, and some time to replace it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Belt
    tensioners
    water pump
    coolant
    Do them all at the same time, will save cash by not having a failed water pump or tensioner in the next few years.
    The pump is probably another $130 + coolant and 15min labour, added the the timing belt.

Ring around see if you can get a better price.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

What everyone else said.

They also have plastic components that could fail with all the heat involved in the engine.

Note restricted to the 125 engine either.

Water pump deemed a consumerable component on these diesel engines. A small price to pay if something does go wrong.
    BeigeJet
    White MY23 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (mine)
    White MY21 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (wife)
    Gone - Wheat Beige MY07 Jetta TDI manual