Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some tyre advice please

Users Country Flag

Some tyre advice please

I've got a mk3 1.4tsi with 225x45x17 wheels and tyres that are starting to show some wear after 33k km and I have a shortlist of the usual Michelin, Goodyear or Continental replacement options depending on what deal in on at the time.

I'm not an aggressive driver and drive to the conditions and I have been tempted by the offer of a very cheap set of steel wheels and very low mileage Continental tyres off a Mk7 Golf.
    The thing is the wheel size is 195x65x15 which comes in somewhere close to 2% of the current wheel circumference.
    Similar wheel/tyre combinations were fitted to Falcadores not so long ago so it is not really a safety issue and I'm curious as to what effect it will have on the car consumption.

But is it legal, the minimum size fitted was 16 inch, and are there any other factors I have to take into consideration? I assume the bolt holes would be the same although I might need some different bolts?

Users Country Flag
    here is some information regarding changing wheels on a car.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving...eels-and-tyres

besides legality and bolt holes I would also check that the wheel clears the brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks that is useful.
    Appears that going 'smaller' does not present too many legal issues

I can't imagine the brakes on the Golf 7 are any smaller than on mine but definitely something to check.
    Speed ratings should be ok as the minimum Golf 7 power is the 1.4tsi 90kw version.
    If I go ahead with this then I'd end up in the unique situation where my spacesaver spare would be bigger than my standard fitment.

It would not surprise me if the smaller steel wheel/tyres reduced unsprung and rotating weight by 20kg or more.
    Statistically the narrower tyre should reduce the chances of picking up the errant nails my current tyres have been plagued with.
    Last edited by Gerrycan; 11-04-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Some tyre advice please

A few months ago I bought a set of Golf 7 15s with tyres that came off a new Golf. I've yet to fit them but I bought them seeking an improvement in the unpleasant ride of the Octavia. They pop up on gumtree occasionally for a ridiculously low amount.

The Octavias were complied with 15s so I don't think there are any concerns with legality.

Edit: yes they come with different bolts. Mine came with them. If I get a moment over Easter I'll fit them up and let you know how I go.
    Last edited by brenno; 11-04-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrycan View Post

It would not surprise me if the smaller steel wheel/tyres reduced unsprung and rotating weight by 20kg or more.
    I found with my previous car by going to lighter wheels I was surprised as to how much of an improvement there was to the steering response at speed.

I had 15's on my previous mk2 and as I said I'm no Fangio (damn have given my age away) but the ride and handling was exceptionally good compared to the mundane versions offered on the Korean SUV's and people carrier I was driving around in before.
    To be honest I am quite happy with the 17's on my mk3 for ride/handling/noise although they do struggle on corrugated dirt roads in conjunction with the torsion bar rear suspension.
    The 17's were a bit of a surprise because they were part of a cheap upgrade package on the Ambition giving me the cruise control, rear sensors and extra speakers I really wanted. I knew the wheels went from steel to alloy but did not read the fine print about going from 16 to 17 inch.

Users Country Flag
    I recently put 17" alloys and tyres on my a3 up from 16" steel wheels. I found this a nice compromise. I know you are looking to go the other way. The original oem was Michelin primacy hp and got 75k out of them. New 17" are pirelli C1 cinturato. Not high end but perfect for the 77kw tdi. Done about 10k on them so far.
    Doubtful i will do conti's again on the octy RS.
    Just a note - 225 width down to 195 is more thsn 10% less rubber on the road all other things equal. Perhaps back down to oem 16" 205 width is a better choice?

I've been reading reviews on the tyres in question (Conti Eco Contact?) and a bit of a mixed bag.
    Seems to do relatively well in comparisons but some of the individual stories are pretty scathing and one had not good words to say.
    Wet weather grip for most eco type tyres being compromised seems to be a fairly common issue.

Anyone heard or felt first hand about the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's? And how do they compare to the Asymmetric 2's?

Why are the 3's cheaper than the 2's in the same tyre size?

Better according to most reviews.

Reasons ... stock, rebates, volume etc. etc.

Don't question it, just get it.
    RS
    R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast