Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Skoda Auto Sales in Australia via vfacts

Quote Originally Posted by VAG newbie View Post
    Agree with cheapest, not sure about most reliable. As long as its cheap. people will buy it. Otherwise why would Great Wall even made it to top 20? Why would Holden and Ford be up there with the tops? Even Toyota, which supposed to be the "most reliable" car, after they had many quality control issues that resulted in several fatality, even after the CEO of Toyota confessed in front of the Congress that they Toyota DID cut corners to boost up sales, it did not hurt Toyota's sale one little bit. The tsunami did more damage to Toyota!

I think i will just quote Leonardo Decaprio from the movie "Inception". Once an idea has been implanted into someone's mind, that idea will remain forever. Toyota buyers will always be Toyota buyers. Holden buyers will always be Holden buyers (even though Holden is actually Daewoo now). No matter what Skoda does, no matter what we do, these people won't change.

But there will be a group of smart clever buyers like us, who would spent time and effort to research into cars. I am sure there are some out there that knew Skoda is good, but just too afraid to jump in. So if Skoda Aus would improve on their pricing on some of their models, educate some of their sales consultant, and do more advertisement, I think sales figure will improve. But it will never reach Toyota/Holden/Ford level (even VW struggled to do that), simply because most people are too stubborn.
    I know how good Skoda are and would buy, but servicing options, availability and cost and dealer changes /consolidations just would probably make it too hard to own in the medium term.
    Current:12 Golf GTD, Mods on order -Bluefin Remap, Mods planned-plenty
    Former:08 GT Sport TDI DSG Bluefin, HPA SHS Coilovers,H&R Swaybars with Whiteline Adj Links

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I don't think so. The bulk of car buyers just want the cheapest, most reliable transport they can get. As such, they doom themselves to repeat what has worked for them previously. People are too conservative.

I get lots of people ask me what car to buy because I'm a petrol head, qualified mechanic & they know I research all my purchases to the nth degree. The only people that I've convinced (to take a look & eventually buy) are a couple of petrolhead mates that probably would have made the decision without my input. Other, less car orientated friends just go & buy from the jap/korean/aussie stable over & over again.

People still don't believe me when i tell them an Audi has similar engines/chassis to VW which is similar to a Skoda (they also don't believe me when i tell them a Jag X-type is the same underneath as a Ford or SAAB 9-3 is the same as a Vectra.)

My FIL doesn't believe me when i tell him I only get my car serviced every 15,000km & it's cheaper per km than his Camry that he gets serviced every 5000km.

Look at the car sales chart - it's pretty obvious that people are like sheep & the most popular brand is Toyota & everything after that is an also-ran.
    In the 90's when I bought a new MkIII Golf people treated me like I'd got a car from Mars or I was being a snooty smartarse. Nowadays, quite a few people who bought Mazdas and Subarus now buy VWs. So preferences do change over time. Buyers become more sophisticated as they travel to Europe and see hardly any Japanese cars there. Skoda will pick up over time especially with the new models coming out.

Yes Toyota sells way more than other brands but many of them are bought by Govt Departments. I would like to see the figures for private buyers only, I think it would be much closer.

Yes some people are like sheep because they fear motor cars and don't particularly like driving, so they go with the safest possible bet which they judge by whatever is popular. Look how long its taken for Falcons and Commodores to lose sales. They will only buy Skoda when everyone else has one first.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatB6 View Post
    Buyers become more sophisticated as they travel to Europe and see hardly any Japanese cars there.
    how many people do you think travel to Europe & look at the cars? IMO, Australia doesn't have much of a car culture.
    Skoda will pick up over time especially with the new models coming out.
    How many times have I heard that in the 4 years I've owned a Skoda? They've been in the market over 4.5yrs now & the breakthrough is always "gunna happen when the new model comes out"
    Yes Toyota sells way more than other brands but many of them are bought by Govt Departments. I would like to see the figures for private buyers only, I think it would be much closer.
    The government department i work for buys Toyotas because they get a huge discount up front, they retain their value & are easy to flog-off. That's because there is good demand in the used market.
    VW are on the government list & that helps their sales. Skoda only has the Scout on the list & that is only for emergency services.

Yes some people are like sheep because they fear motor cars and don't particularly like driving, so they go with the safest possible bet which they judge by whatever is popular. Look how long its taken for Falcons and Commodores to lose sales. They will only buy Skoda when everyone else has one first.
    Most people are like sheep.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

On that note, my uncle said had I seen the new Skodas that are being advertised, he has 4 BMWs and just bought a Citroen. I reminded him we have had a Skoda for nearly 4 yrs now and told him to look into one instead of the French cars now they are being sold in Toowoomba. He is a pretty intelligent guy I might boot and doesn't buy what others do, but still completely missed that one.

A few people have mentioned Skodas and ads to me and I'm seeing them quite a lot especially the Fabia RS ad so times are a changing. Kia made their name with the Australia Open Tennis so maybe this year is Skodas year now.

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    On that note, my uncle said had I seen the new Skodas that are being advertised, he has 4 BMWs and just bought a Citroen. I reminded him we have had a Skoda for nearly 4 yrs now and told him to look into one instead of the French cars now they are being sold in Toowoomba. He is a pretty intelligent guy I might boot and doesn't buy what others do, but still completely missed that one.
    After a few trips to the Citroen service centre, he will blame you why you didn't tell him. My friend, who laughed at me when I bought the Superb instead of Passat, ignored my advice that VW has poor reliability, went on and got a Golf himself. He called me yesterday and told me VW is sh*t because it started to rattles and shudder at the lights. He blamed me for not telling him to get an Octavia instead.

A few people have mentioned Skodas and ads to me and I'm seeing them quite a lot especially the Fabia RS ad so times are a changing. Kia made their name with the Australia Open Tennis so maybe this year is Skodas year now.
    Don't know if it is working. 370 sales in May is hardly anything to be excited about, as compared to > 600/month last Nov/Dec. I am afraid that most of the smart people out there have got themselves a Skoda already. The rest of the people, as Brad said, are sheeps and will never get a Skoda unless everyone else gets a Skoda.

Users Country Flag
    I'm doing my bit.

I'm a mobile I.T. support guy, and whilst travelling around to various different places, I always get asked "What is THAT?!"
    "Oh, its a Skoda."
    "I'm going to be looking for a new car soon... Whats it like?"
    The varying answers are:
    "Its more economical than a Mazda3, and its amazing quality"
    "5L/100km and it'll kill a V6 Commodore"
    "Its a Golf GTI, with a diesel engine and a wagon body"
    "Have a look for yourself!"

Depending on what type of person the client appears to be.

I'm seeing Skoda's every day now. Its brilliant.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Well, I bought an Octavia exactly one month ago, and my dad bought one last night. Everyone has asked "what's a Skoda" but have been quite impressed when they have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by PassatB6 View Post
    Buyers become more sophisticated as they travel to Europe and see hardly any Japanese cars there.

That's because the Europeans have used tax barriers to keep them out to prop up the inefficient and traditionally poor quality manufacturers in Spain, France and Italy. If the Japanese had gotten into Europe on anything vaguely like a level playing field in the 1960s and 1970s the European car industry today would consist of VW who would probably be part owned by Toyota anyway.
    My Škoda photos here

Flickr : Blog

Users Country Flag
    Germany as well.

Plenty of Japanese cars in Austria.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    That's because the Europeans have used tax barriers to keep them out to prop up the inefficient and traditionally poor quality manufacturers in Spain, France and Italy. If the Japanese had gotten into Europe on anything vaguely like a level playing field in the 1960s and 1970s the European car industry today would consist of VW who would probably be part owned by Toyota anyway.
    Sorry, you are far from the mark. Very far. For starters, there are hardly any tarifs for example between Korea and Europe. And tarifs with Japan are pretty low. Also toyotas, hyundais, Kias are manufactured all over the Europe. Tarifs are overrated so much. Europeans do buy cars differently than Aussies for example. Primarily though, European cars are built for consumers and conditions in Europe. In my opinion, they use more sofisticated engineering as driving condition there are more demanding (please do not mix up off-road conditions with that). Have you guys driven in Alps? While say Toyotas are built to last, they are not supposed to make us excited. Where else would Hilux be at the top of the sales charts? Also, Europeans cars are much cheaper in Europe simply that they sell it in large numbers (see point one) and therefore they have dealers network requiring much smaller margins than when you sell 20 cars a month. Also, European cars which are sold here could have been made in South Africa, Argentina or somewhere outside Europe and quality is different there.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast