Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS Airbox

Users Country Flag

RS Airbox

Decided to start a thread on this as the previous mentions in other places were getting messy....

Discovered on another forum an easy mod to free up the breathing on our cars.

Most tuners I spoke with agreed that the standard air box with a decent panel filter would easily flow enough air for a stage 2 tune.

The standard cold air intake on the car draws most of its air from the engine bay & has a further cold side which is blocked from factory RS Airbox-1-jpg

I removed the intake and cut out the bits as required
    RS Airbox-3-jpgRS Airbox-5-jpgRS Airbox-6-jpgRS Airbox-4-jpg

There is already a factory air feed from behind the bumper in place by both cut outs

RS Airbox-2-jpg

I blocked off the hot air feed from the engine bay with some aluminum tape & also the resonator box inside the air box
    I also removed the silly snow screen at the bottom - not really required here in Australia

RS Airbox-7-jpgRS Airbox-8-jpgRS Airbox-9-jpgRS Airbox-10-jpg

Haven't had much of a chance to drive it tonight & still yet to buy a replacement hi-flow filter but the diverter valve can now be heard with the windows down.
    Last edited by ferret vrs; 22-12-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    MY16 Octavia VRS Wagon, DSG, Race blue, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Black Pack, 19's, Sunroof, Electric Tailgate
    Airbox mod, VW Racing Filter, TMD, Elbow, Ramair Pipe, GFB DV+, VCDS mods, Superpro adjustable rear sway bar, Superpro end links, Whiteline front sway bar links, Whiteline LCA bush Kit, Bilstein B14 coilovers, HPA dog bone mount & arm, 42DD oil catch can, Burger wheel spacers, CTS downpipe 200 cel cat, 2,5" exhaust , twin out. Super Skoda eyelids & front splitter, Tuned by BPS 228kw atw, Dsg tune,

Nice find / mod Mate!
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I rang Hardings Performance today as they sell an R Line performance panel air filter, but they are out of stock until the end of January.
    Byron whom I spoke to again tried to sell me the full intake which is around $1200 and reckons ill gain 30kw!! - I personally call BS as they are a forced induction engine and need an extra 4-5 psi positive boost to achieve that same figure with a tune.

VW probably spend a lot of R&D money getting the air box right, a Golf R will quite happy produce 206kw with the same unmodified box & paper filter....
    MY16 Octavia VRS Wagon, DSG, Race blue, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Black Pack, 19's, Sunroof, Electric Tailgate
    Airbox mod, VW Racing Filter, TMD, Elbow, Ramair Pipe, GFB DV+, VCDS mods, Superpro adjustable rear sway bar, Superpro end links, Whiteline front sway bar links, Whiteline LCA bush Kit, Bilstein B14 coilovers, HPA dog bone mount & arm, 42DD oil catch can, Burger wheel spacers, CTS downpipe 200 cel cat, 2,5" exhaust , twin out. Super Skoda eyelids & front splitter, Tuned by BPS 228kw atw, Dsg tune,

Users Country Flag
    Any gains will only be seen once you start producing close to 300 KW or more. Real world gains on a non-tuned car will be negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by ferret vrs View Post
    I rang Hardings Performance today as they sell an R Line performance panel air filter, but they are out of stock until the end of January.
    Byron whom I spoke to again tried to sell me the full intake which is around $1200 and reckons ill gain 30kw!! - I personally call BS as they are a forced induction engine and need an extra 4-5 psi positive boost to achieve that same figure with a tune.

VW probably spend a lot of R&D money getting the air box right, a Golf R will quite happy produce 206kw with the same unmodified box & paper filter....
    Walking Contradiction...

MY15 Skoda Octavia vRS 162 Race Blue Combi

Quote Originally Posted by vEnOm_oz View Post
    Any gains will only be seen once you start producing close to 300 KW or more. Real world gains on a non-tuned car will be negligible.
    Lol I wonder how many people they sucker into believing that they will get 30kw from an air box upgrade on a stock car "the guy told me it's proven on the dyno mate!"
    RS AirboxRS AirboxRS AirboxRS Airbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Note: Unless you drive on a dyno everyday!

"the guy told me it's proven on the dyno mate!"
    Walking Contradiction...

MY15 Skoda Octavia vRS 162 Race Blue Combi

Users Country Flag
    Lol I wonder how many people they sucker into believing that they will get 30kw from an air box upgrade on a stock car "the guy told me it's proven on the dyno mate!"
    RS AirboxRS AirboxRS AirboxRS Airbox

The big fan infront when running on the Dyno may play a part in that me thinks.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI

Give me $1200 and I ll tell you you've gained 500 KWs.
    2014 MY14 Corrida Red Elegance Wagon TDI
    2009 MY10 Race Blue RS Wagon TSI 6 sp. manual. (Gone)
    2011 MY12 Yeti 77 TSI DSG.

[QUOTE=Antiplastix;1211273]Give me $1200 and I ll tell you you've gained 500 KWs.[/

Deal, but only if it comes with a sticker, so all the other drivers know what I'm packing under the hood RS Airbox

Does anybody know where I can purchase a replacement panel filter either locally or overseas?
    Was keen for the Racing Line Filter but it appears the only Aus distributor is Hardings (out of stock till early Feb) & the overseas website keeps redirecting me there

I'm not keen on an oiled filter such as K&N or BMC, prefer to use the foam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast