Support VWWC

Thread: RNS510 Firmware

RNS510 Firmware

Been trying to find out my hardware without removing the unit so I can update firmware. But when I try using the 'hold setup button' option it just goes to a radio menu (even if I hold it for up to a minute).

Wanting to upgrade as I've got a 16Gb SDHC card which isn't recognised by the unit, and apparently a firmware update will do the job. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue with a My10 Skoda and RNS510 unit?

Tried these links.
    Accessing the Setup Menu on RNS 510 head units with firmware version 2660 / 2662 / 2664 / 2666 / 2668 | my-gti.com
    Setup menu rns510

Users Country Flag
    You will likely have firmware 26xx on your unit if it was factory fitted.

If its aftermarket it could be running something earlier but unlikely.

If factory 26xx then it already supports larger than 4gb sd cards. So its more likely the card is not formatted correctly using the FAT file system, or the card/RNS is faulty.
    Try another card first, or format the card again as FAT. If its a microSD card using an adapter they can be difficult to get to work reliably.

If you want to find the version prior to running an upgrade you have to use VCDS to enable secret menu, load a firmware upgrade that enables it, or physically remove the unit and read the sticker.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Cheers.

Yes, factory fitted unit never touched or updated.

No adapters or microSD cards involved. The 2 SD cards I have, 1 works fine SanDisk 512mb which is SD format.
    The one that doesn't work is a new card 16Gb but is SDHC format.

Don't suspect it's the unit as the first card works fine. Currently formatting the SDHC card into FAT format (was previously FAT32 or exFAT) both of which return an error. Will advise what the outcome of the FAT format is in an hour of so.
    Both of them work fine

Tried FAT format and multiple SD cards. The only cards that work are SD cards.
    None of the SDHC cards work, all give "Error SD card".

Suspect it's the firmware that preventing this from being read....

So to check via VCDS I assume I need a cable?

Users Country Flag
    yes, you do need a cable.

Many of us have made the purchase to Ross-Tech for a cable. Depends on whetehr you feel the purchase price is justifiable. If it's not, then have a look thru this thread : http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...elp-27504.html and see if there is anyone in your area who has a cable and would be willing to run a scan for some small form of compensation (beer, food, pictures of your younger sister...oh wait. No, not the last one) You know what I mean.

Many of us with cables are more than willing to run a scan at a convenient time for both parties.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag
    Mine has latest firmware but when it was the original 2840 I loaded 18 gig of music onto the hard drive using a 32 gig SDHC card no trouble but took a fair while to do it.

The cards should be formatted as FAT 32 and unit should accept a 32gig vers I use 32gig cards for my video camera Dashcam and RNS for music Just easier to have all the same Have Fujitsu, Bauhn and Samsung cards and have never had any trouble with them not working in any of my units DONT BUY CARDS OFF EBAY 99% are fakes. Most good Class 10 32GB cards would be over $50 if genuine

SD and SDHC are really just different capacity cards as per this article from a photographer

First off you might be asking yourself, ‘What is SD?’ SD stands for Secure Digital. SDHC? Secure Digital High Capacity. And SDXC? Secure Digital eXtended Capacity. Other formats include miniSD and microSD but your DSLR will not accept these. There is no quality/security difference between these three formats. Cards labeled SD have capicity up to 4GB, SDHC usually have a capacity of 4GB – 32GB. SDXC formats can be very large and expensive. I am going to recommend that everyone stick with SDHC format. These cards have more than enough storage.

You will see a Class 2,4,6 or 10 on SD Cards. This is the speed rating which measures maximum transfer speed for reading and writing images to and from a memory card, expressed as megabytes per second. However, video doesn’t need as big a data pipe because the video format is a smaller “fixed stream” that uses only a portion of the data pipe.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 19-05-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

What is an RNS510? If it is what Skoda call the Bolero my MY10 (2009 build) has been working perfectly happily with a 16GB SDHC card since about 3 days after I took it home.

BTW the quote above is not completely correct. The SD format only ever went up to 2GB not 4GB as mentioned. There were a very limited number of SD cards that were 4GB before SDHC came out but they used smoke and mirrors to trick the device into using the whole 4GB and overall it was not very successful. Many people lost large numbs of photos trying to use these car in cameras in 2006 when they were available.
    Last edited by K1W1; 20-05-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    My Škoda photos here

Flickr : Blog

Users Country Flag

Re: RNS510 Firmware

Rns510=Columbus
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500