Support VWWC

Thread: Paddle Shifters failure?

Users Country Flag

Paddle Shifters failure?

So my 2016 RS220 with DSG & paddle shifters - the last week or so, I've noticed that on occasions, when upshifting in manual-mode using the paddles - it sometimes skips a gear and goes 2 gears up.

ONLY happens in manual-mode and ONLY with the paddles, not the gear shifter.

ONLY happens shifting from even to odd gears: 2nd (skips 3rd, straight into 4th) or from 4th (straight up to 6th).

I've never noticed it happening from odd-to-even gears.

The maxidot gear indicator changes instantly to the 2-gears-up, but the gearbox itself shifts into next gear, then next gear again, as if I've hit the paddle twice.

Can't identify a particular driving habit or condition that may cause this, and don't think it's a problem with the DSG or mechatronics unit - but seems to only occur when I'm GENTLY pressing the right gear-up paddle.
    If I'm banging through the gears in fury, it doesn't happen.

I'm thinking it's a sticky/dodgy contact on the paddle switch.

Anybody else suffered from this? I'll be getting it looked at, at the next service, unless it becomes more of an issue or annoyance in the meantime (as it's only just had it's first service).

I've already had the steering-wheel scroll wheel buttons replaced.... will start getting a bit pissed if ALL the electronic switch contacts in these cars are all badly designed or manufactured and fail to switch correctly.....
    Last edited by Spinifex; 23-06-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: oops- corrected RS230 to RS220
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    There might be some dust on the contact, as I had a problem with mine on my vRS Octavia. So I got my 12 volt air compressor with a ball needle[the type used to blow up a football] and blew air around the back of the paddle it did the job, changes perfectly now.
    2010 Candy White Octavia vRS 125TDi DSG

Users Country Flag
    Sounds weird. Not sure it's the switch as it just a press switch so should only send the signal once per hit. Try holding it down until it changes one gear then release and see what happens. Maybe find someone close with vcds for a look see.

Bit of a typo with RS 230. There only manual.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I think I've got some compressed air in a can at home - will give that a go. Thanks for suggestion.
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by LunchboxVRS View Post
    Try holding it down until it changes one gear then release and see what happens.
    I've held the paddle down a few times, to see if it "repeats" a gear change after a certain period of time, but it only changes 1 gear at a time. I've tried clicking paddle rapidly twice, but usually it's too quick to register as a double-click, so only changes 1 at a time... I have to double-click slowly, for it to change 2 gears at a time (all of those comments I mean in normal-operation).... the "failure" times occur when I gently do a single paddle-click, and it decides to change up 2 gears in a single operation.

Maybe find someone close with vcds for a look see.
    I have OBD11 and no faults are showing when I scan it - will VCDS show more/different errors than OBD11?

Bit of a typo with RS 230. There only manual.
    Oops... fixed !!!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    I've held the paddle down a few times, to see if it "repeats" a gear change after a certain period of time, but it only changes 1 gear at a time. I've tried clicking paddle rapidly twice, but usually it's too quick to register as a double-click, so only changes 1 at a time... I have to double-click slowly, for it to change 2 gears at a time (all of those comments I mean in normal-operation).... the "failure" times occur when I gently do a single paddle-click, and it decides to change up 2 gears in a single operation.

I have OBD11 and no faults are showing when I scan it - will VCDS show more/different errors than OBD11?

Oops... fixed !!!
    By what you have said it sounds like it's not the switch (if the air can does nothing). How far up it are you rev wise. even in manual mode it will change for you if it dosnt like it. Had mine do it before. It's maybe changing just as you hit the paddle and goes up two.
    Maybe reset the transmission memory. Not sure what you do with these models as I haven't done it but it would be something like disconnect the battery for a couple of hours. It will need to relearn your driving style but might do the trick.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI

Users Country Flag
    disconnecting the battery will do nothing for the ECU or TCU. you need something like VCDS to set the calibration process.

if the button/paddle isn't working, no amount of resetting will help you, its probably a damaged paddle.

have you tried using the gear selector to change gears? does it act the same way?

Thanks for responses guys - will try to answer.

Couldn't find air-in-a-can at home - may need to get some.
    Gear selector changes gears normally - it's ONLY the right paddle.
    Not rev-related.... as I'm changing gears before 4000rpm generally..... I don't drive "slowly" in manual mode much, except for early-morning, when I'm trying to get the engine up to temp quicker, so I hold the gears a little longer (usually shifting between 3-4000rpm) instead of auto-mode shifting much too quickly.
    I only have a 8 minute drive to work, so it's barely registering 50degrees on the oil-temp when I'm parking at work.

When I've driven in manual mode in a "spirited" manner through the mountains, the paddles have worked flawlessly.

Having said all that though - I've deliberately tried the last few mornings to paddle-up gently, to see if it happens... and the damned thing has been changing correctly.

Maybe just a random thing.....

I wouldn't be keen on messing with calibration settings or resetting computers on a 7month old car under warranty..... messing with blinkers and scandinavian DRLs is one thing, and not likely to drastically affect a warranty.... messing with gear-change programming is an entirely different matter.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    Thanks for responses guys - will try to answer.

Couldn't find air-in-a-can at home - may need to get some.
    Gear selector changes gears normally - it's ONLY the right paddle.
    Not rev-related.... as I'm changing gears before 4000rpm generally..... I don't drive "slowly" in manual mode much, except for early-morning, when I'm trying to get the engine up to temp quicker, so I hold the gears a little longer (usually shifting between 3-4000rpm) instead of auto-mode shifting much too quickly.
    I only have a 8 minute drive to work, so it's barely registering 50degrees on the oil-temp when I'm parking at work.

When I've driven in manual mode in a "spirited" manner through the mountains, the paddles have worked flawlessly.

Having said all that though - I've deliberately tried the last few mornings to paddle-up gently, to see if it happens... and the damned thing has been changing correctly.

Maybe just a random thing.....

I wouldn't be keen on messing with calibration settings or resetting computers on a 7month old car under warranty..... messing with blinkers and scandinavian DRLs is one thing, and not likely to drastically affect a warranty.... messing with gear-change programming is an entirely different matter.
    Disconnecting the battery won't void warranty. No different to getting a flat battery. Not sure if that's the way to reset it but in previous cars it is. It's an old trick and something the dealers do as well.
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI