Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One month service/check up from dealership

Tell me something I don't know. Oils today can exceed manufacturers stipulated service intervals by 10's of thousand of kilometres in either cars or trucks. If I still owned my workshop that would make me a very unhappy man and I would be doing my best to convince customers that changing oil early was a good thing. I was at a trade show many years ago and an exhibitor tried to convince me that his plug leads that lasted for longer than others was a good thing for my customers but they would not have been a good thing for me so I declined to buy them.

Users Country Flag
    They can, under the right driving conditions. Just make sure you stick to them all year around.

Some forum members are mentioning quite often and it's getting annoying, that their filled for life transmission has failed because manufacturer didn't specify any servicing. Plenty of sludged up engines out there, law suits in every decade since the 70' only they called it the black death at the start. Prematurely worn out timing chains, cracked pistons in the 1.4TSI twin charger engines. The early 5cyl TDIs were wearing out the camshafts because of 50,000km 2years intervals set in 2004 (were revised down to 20,000km, then todays 15,000km).
    Did I forget to mention that many owners of the 5cyl TDIs in US were monitoring the oil and even kept spreadsheets at TDICLUB.COM only to see their engine self-destruct at around 80,000km as a result of not using VW506.01 oil, they thought they new better.

I don't trust the oil samples tests, simply because, they don't see what is inside the oil filter and inside the engine.

Finally, I don't care how often you change your engine (or other) oils.

Something you don't know? Or maybe you just forgot the old mechanics saying "pay me now or pay me later"

I thought we were talking about today's motors and today's oils but perhaps the goal posts have been moved. The old days are gone but the independent trade and us old blokes don't want to change our ways. Yes I saw all the sludging the same as you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    I thought we were talking about today's motors and today's oils but perhaps the goal posts have been moved. The old days are gone but the independent trade and us old blokes don't want to change our ways. Yes I saw all the sludging the same as you.
    What do you call old days? I know the title of the thread.
    Even the newest oils are made to protect the environment first as I said before. So, you can believe in what people believed in a few years back, but you'll be disappointed. Unless of course you change your car every 3-5 years.

I forgot..... what's the one of the reasons that people don't want to keep their car longer? Engine and transmission failures could be linked to the lack of the maintenance.
    But, you wouldn't trust me or any other mechanic, we just want people to service the cars more often, means you spend more on maintenance, totally unacceptable, yeah.

I can assure you that I'm not stuck in the past and I like that many buy a new car every 3 years.

I now crawl back under my rock.

My experience goes in the industry goes back to 1974, I have owned my own workshops so I do have a little experience as you do but things change and we have to change with them. Saying we should do things as they were done thirty years ago or even twenty years ago is not good enough. I like you have seen oil sludging in times past even with 5000km oil changes so the frequency was not the answer, Toyotas used to do it even with short oil change intervals.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    I like you have seen oil sludging in times past even with 5000km oil changes so the frequency was not the answer, Toyotas used to do it even with short oil change intervals.
    That would only be when the workshops used the SF/CC or SG specification oils instead of the latest spec SJ or SL at the time, making a huge profit in the process, it's still probably happening today, since no one investigates properly. The oil companies will blend you any cheap oil you like if you're big workshop. Until recently many manufacturers allowed for the cheap oil to be used at least temporarily, so in reality these workshops didn't do anything wrong except they forgot to ask the car owners and explain the consequences.

You may call it, they were adapting/prepping everyone for the future.
    Last edited by Transporter; 05-09-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123