Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octy's first 15000 service

Users Country Flag

Octy's first 15000 service

Car came back from it's first 15k service yesterday.

All good, no issues with the service, but some warranty work I asked to be checked over: electric/hydraulic boot struts replaced due to leaking and steering-wheel scroll-wheels replaced.

Both common failures with these cars apparently, but a bit concerning on a 6mth old car with such low km's, but hey, I have a 5year warranty!
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Capped price servicing? What was the damage? I'm due next couple of weeks for the same service.

What do you mean steering wheel scroll wheels replaced?
    I've had the stereo change stations automatically when the stop/start system restarts the engine.
    I've also had a look at my boot struts and there seems to be a small amount of oil/grease but hasn't played up.
    Sometimes sunroof 'tilt' pops back up when I try to close it, has happened from day one.

My Octy had its first service last week as well. I ended up purchasing the 5 year service pack, so can't give an exact number on the capped price - which the reception guy quoted me, so obviously hadn't done his homework as I had to tell him that I had the service pack... The price he quoted was $300 something. I think I heard $316 (maybe it was $360?). There should be a price schedule on the Skoda Aus website anyhow.
    Like many others, I also had the tailgate struts replaced due to oil weeping and a slight conniption from them (when I opened the tailgate, it stuttered and jerked and then stopped about a third of the way up) the weekend before the service. No quibbles and the parts were in stock at their local warehouse, so all done the same day.
    I'm pleased to say that I drove away without having to reach for my wallet - something I wasn't sure of due to the rather unclear T&Cs of the service pack (they're not that much different from the capped pricing T&Cs as it happens) in regard to what's included and what isn't. Even Skoda Aus couldn't clarify it! Hopefully the next 4 services have the same result.
    MY 22 Superb Sportline Wagon. Moon White.
    1985 BMW K100RS in JPS racing livery
    2019 BMW R1250GS Exclusive

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DETROITCANDY View Post
    Capped price servicing? What was the damage? I'm due next couple of weeks for the same service.
    Mine was free - was offered first service free, due to having the broken oil-cooler issue on week-3 of ownership..... which took 3-weeks to fix & return car to me. I argued for a little more for the inconvenience, and snagged my first TWO services for free!!!

What do you mean steering wheel scroll wheels replaced?
    The left-side volume and right-side menu-selection scroll wheels. Right-side didn't scroll at all, volume wheel was starting to show signs of not working as well. Apparently common failure in VAG cars.

I've also had a look at my boot struts and there seems to be a small amount of oil/grease but hasn't played up.
    Mine had small amount of fluid showing on them, which I wasn't sure was oil or just condensation or car-washing moisture that hadn't dried. Felt oily though, so got them to check it out.
    The tailgate worked no-problems, but glad they were replaced without question, before they became an issue.

I've had the stereo change stations automatically when the stop/start system restarts the engine. Sometimes sunroof 'tilt' pops back up when I try to close it, has happened from day one.
    Both of those issues sound like problems and need to be investigated. Haven't heard those same issues anywhere else online before, so hopefully not a big issue for them to fix for you.
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Also worth mentioning.... I asked for my wheels to be rotated front to rear..... but didn't mention balancing. When I dropped the car off the guy helping assumed I had purchased a service pack (when I mentioned the service would be free - even though I was talking about it being complimentary from Skoda Aus.).

He started mumbling something about Skoda having removed the wheel rotate/balance from their servicing capped-pricing/packs, and therefore I would be charged for it !!!

I CBF arguing with him about it and ended up paying the $38 they charged to balance & rotate the wheels..... but worth to note for everybody else, that as others have said previously, always print out the servicing schedules you are paying for WHEN YOU PURCHASE THEM, as they can (and do) change what is included, without notice, and you could end up paying for stuff you assumed you'd already paid for.

I had mine rotated, not sure about balancing, not all of them balanced them anyway though. My struts they completely missed the oil all over them until I pointed it out. So they are still like that. I've had issues when the boot just beeps and won't open which for ages I thought was me but I think is it thinking there is an obstruction. They just whirl and then beep. Yesterday it got half way up then slowed and then went all the way up again.

Now that you say that woofy, mine did that once or twice and I kinda ignored it and assumed I'd accidentally pressed the interior button twice, which stopped it opening.

May have been early signs of leak issue with the struts.

As an aside to that though - what does everyone think of the closing speed/thump on the electric tailgates?

Mine seems to slam shut quite violently..... I'm a little oversensitive to doors being slammed on cars, and it's a massive pet-hate of mine.... but my tailgate I feel is much too violent at that last few centimetres of closing.

I've seen other Octy's closing and they are positively quiet/gentle.... so I assume it's something that can be programmed - either by service department, or perhaps OBD11?

I totally forgot to mention this during the service... but following replacement of the struts, it's no-more gentle than it was previously... and it's annoying the crap out of me!!!

Small things for small minds, hey

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    Mine seems to slam shut quite violently..... I'm a little oversensitive to doors being slammed on cars, and it's a massive pet-hate of mine.... but my tailgate I feel is much too violent at that last few centimetres of closing.
    +1 on the tailgate slam - I still wince when the thing shuts! I try to have everything else closed when closing the tailgate, which seems to help slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    Also worth mentioning.... I asked for my wheels to be rotated front to rear..... but didn't mention balancing.
    I didn't think to ask for the wheels to be rotated, as I assumed it would be standard practice. I was wrong, the wheels weren't rotated...

Charging extra for rotation is a little bit bs, given that they remove the wheels anyway to check brakes and suspension, it can't be that hard or take more than a few seconds extra time to move the wheels an extra couple of metres? Luckily my brother has a hoist, so I'll do the rotation myself when I'm there next.
    Balancing is a different story though, I've never assumed that to be part of a service, so always expected additional cost on this.

... meant to ask

Anyone know how long it takes for the Skoda app to update the digital service record? Mine's still showing the original pre-delivery details. Is it possible to access it some other way? Skoda make a big deal of it, but provide no detail on how to access it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast