Thread: Mechanical Differences Between MK2 Octavia RS and Golf GTI MK6

Question Mechanical Differences Between MK2 Octavia RS and Golf GTI MK6

hi all,

im tossing up between a MK2 Octavia RS and a MK6 Golf GTI - both in DSG.

to help my decision i'm trying to determine the differences between the two cars. can anybody add to or correct the following:;
    1. GTi has 155kW 'CCZA' EA888, Octavia has 147kW 'CCZA' EA888 (any other differences or just power output?)
    2. MY11+ Octavia has timing chain like GTi
    3. MY11+ Octavia has XLD (electronic diff) like the GTi
    4. DSG? Is the 6-speed DSG transmission the same between the Octavia and the Golf?
    5. Brakes are the same as far as I can tell, can anybody confirm?
    6. Suspension; the vehicles are different weights so I expect the springs/shocks are different. Can anybody comment as to whether the 'feeling' is different? Possibly less sporty/more soft in the Octavia?
    7. Anything else?

thank you
    Last edited by dude04; 27-04-2017 at 08:24 AM.

They are quite different cars due to the different dimensions i.e. I didn't cross shop these two cars although they are very similar mechanically. The big boot in a non wagon/SUV style vehicle caught my eye

Add:

2. The timing chain came on the EA888 TSI engine models but by the way you've written your question, my guess is you want to buy upwards of a my11+ - so yes, timing chain. Same (potential) timing chain tensioner issues too on either GTI/VRS up to mid 2012 builds or thereabouts when the tensioner was supposed to have been upgraded.

6. suspension in the VRS is not the most luxurious - a bit of a compromise between sporty and comfortable

7. the VRS has a much bigger boot

I am sure others have more to add.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dude04 View Post
    hi all,

im tossing up between a MK2 Octavia RS and a MK6 Golf GTI - both in DSG.

to help my decision i'm trying to determine the differences between the two cars. can anybody add to or correct the following:;
    1. GTi has 155kW 'CCZA' EA888, Octavia has 147kW 'CCZA' EA888 (any other differences or just power output?)
    2. MY11+ Octavia has timing chain like GTi
    3. MY11+ Octavia has XLD (electronic diff) like the GTi
    4. DSG? Is the 6-speed DSG transmission the same between the Octavia and the Golf?
    5. Brakes are the same as far as I can tell, can anybody confirm?
    6. Suspension; the vehicles are different weights so I expect the springs/shocks are different. Can anybody comment as to whether the 'feeling' is different? Possibly less sporty/more soft in the Octavia?
    7. Anything else?

thank you
    1) Identical engines. As to whether the actual power output is different between the 147kw Skoda and the 155kw GTI would need to be dyno'd to be proven. If so, it would simply be some basic engine ECU calibration to reduce the power ever so slightly in the Skoda.
    2) Both cars use the 2.0TSI engine which appeared in Australia sometime in late 2009. The plastic engine cover will say 2.0TSI. Earlier model Skoda's use the 2.0FSI engine and these are easily distinguishable by the huge engine cover which covers the entire engine. Try to get a MY12 onwards model which have the revised timing chain tensioner which could potentially save you an expensive headache. Ive had this part replaced on my 2010 GTI at my expense when it started to fail.
    3) and 4) The gearbox's and diff's used in both cars are identical.
    5) Brakes are the same
    6) Front suspension design is identical although possibly different springs as you mentioned. Not positive about the rear im sorry (not too familiar with the Skoda's rear setup but i am with the GTI as i own one). My brother owned a Skoda Mk2 vRS and it felt both slower/heavier and less sporty than the GTI in my opinion.
    7) The GTI is already very practical but the SKoda would be even more so due to the large boot space. Apart from that it comes down to looks (of which im not a fan of the Octavia but they can look better if the right colour is chosen). In saying that, the GTI looks pretty boring too in stock form, especially with the standard 17" rims and halogen headlights.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Probably little difference up to the real wheels, they even had the same wheelbase, but that extra mass behind wheels would not be beneficial for performance or handling. Probably more noticeable on the track than the road.
    Personally, the utility benefits of the Octavia would far outweigh the performance/handling of the Golf, but understand the opposite view of others.

Users Country Flag
    The engines are just tuned different. A tune / chip for both will bring them to the same output even though the vrs has 8 kw less.

Iv been told from dealers and mech the mk2 has the mk5 golf front end not mk6 in terms of geometry and structure. Skoda up until the mqb releaese ran older VW stuff in some areas.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI

Users Country Flag
    mechanically the mk2 vRS also:-
    - has bigger master brake cylinder like those found in the golf R, unlike the GTi
    - has a HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) as standard, unlike the GTi
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    - has bigger master brake cylinder like those found in the golf R, unlike the GTi
    My understanding is all TSI engines have the revised HPFP - it's the TFSI engine that has the weaker version
    Besides, it's only an issue if you want to tune the engine for more power and need more fuel
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    ? The HPFP in both the Mk6 GTI and Mk2 vRS (both have the EA888 TSI engine) is identical as is the rest of the engine.

The older FSI engine (used in the Mk5 GTI, Mk6 R and pre-facelift vRS) is a different engine altogether and has a more primitive HPFP system which cannot handle significant power increases without needing to upgrade the HPFP to a larger piston.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

My bad regarding the HPFP......i must've got my wires crossed between the mk5 gti and the mk6 gti when I was told by the guy putting my Stg 2 tune on.