Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DSG affected by heatwave?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Yep, seems to be unique to the Mk3.
    Both mk2 & mk3 have the same DQ250 DSG6 unit.
    The mk3 does however a different TCU programming.
    Understandable for the different programs, but strange it would introduce the heat weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    Both mk2 & mk3 have the same DQ250 DSG6 unit.
    The mk3 does however a different TCU programming.
    Understandable for the different programs, but strange it would introduce the heat weakness.
    So do a bunch of VAG cars from 2004 until now. There are hundreds of variations of the DQ250 with its various mechatronic and software combinations. Whilst the physical gearbox itself may be (almost) identical between different vehicles, this doesn't mean the box in totality is identical. This is true of the Mk2 to Mk3, and there's likely to be multiple revisions for each of the Mk2 and Mk3 as well.

I don't see this as a weakness. It's entirely possible that the Octavia behaves this way because it weighs more than the Golf, or is more likely to put more load on the gearbox... Or there may be no fundamental difference between vehicles and they just decided to tune it this way because Skoda is more risk-averse. Who knows.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

^ I think the risk adverse is the key thing here. Skoda have repeatedly done things like that to keep up their reliability reputation over the rest of VAG.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    ^ I think the risk adverse is the key thing here. Skoda have repeatedly done things like that to keep up their reliability reputation over the rest of VAG.

And this would be a clear example of the "Simply Clever" thinking business model.
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Did it in a Superb just now, also.

Worth noting, too, is under-bonnet temps. Going by numbers on my Mk2 Octavia (PolarFIS readouts) the intake temp jumps up to 20^C when you turn the A/C on. Heat coming from the A/C condenser, through the intercooler and radiator being pushed by the fans (which are always on when A/C is on) pushes the Intercooler temperature up so far!
    Turn A/C off and temps drop straight away.

Example: 45^C day yesterday, A/C blasting; intake temp read 59.5^C at the most I saw. Thats straight into the engine... Can't think to imagine what the temps of all the other components under there would be; especially whilst being blasted constantly by radiator-heated air; with no other air movement... etc etc
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag
    I drove my 110 TDI Style in 41-45C yesterday, no DSG issues at all. Covered close to 50km at speeds between 40 and 90km/hr.
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    I drove my 110 TDI Style in 41-45C yesterday, no DSG issues at all. Covered close to 50km at speeds between 40 and 90km/hr.
    May be specific to 6sp DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Skoda Octavia RS Hatch DSG MY16
    Silver, Black/Tech/Comfort packs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by manamp27 View Post
    May be specific to 6sp DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The diesel has the same 6 speed DSG as the RS
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    The diesel has the same 6 speed DSG as the RS
    Yeah it's a DQ250. But not swappable. The ratios and software will be quite different.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123