Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery drain issue

Users Country Flag

Battery drain issue

I've had my 2011 Octavia VRS wagon (petrol) for over 2 years now with no issues. A couple weeks ago the car would not start due to a dead battery. Initially thought the battery was on its way out as it was a few years old so purchased a new battery. A couple days later, same issue, the car would not start and the battery was dead.

After fully charging the battery up, the car lasts between 2-3 days without being driven before its completely dead (not even enough power to remote unlock the doors). At this stage it goes from 13.3V to under 11V.

I've had a multi meter hooked up in series to check for a parasitic battery drain and the results were strange. After waiting around 20 minutes with the doors locked and the bonnet open, i can see the car goes to 'sleep' with a reading of about 20mA (good). It does this for 2 1/2 minutes, then spikes to almost 4A for 30 seconds! Then back down to 20mA for another 2 1/2 minutes before spiking up to 4A again for another 30 seconds and so on. My understanding is something must be having issues talking to something else correctly and every 2 1/2 minutes it checks again to see if it can talk, if not, tries again in a loop?

Anyone experienced anything similar? I know I should be checking which circuit is the culprit but the issue is it only occurs for 30 seconds at a time, so will need to be quick in checking each fuse and then moving on. Any suggestions on another approach?

Appreciate any input!

Users Country Flag
    I have a 2017 MY18 VRS purchased in Sept 17. All been good until this week when I had occasion not to drive the car for 3 days and had a totally flat battery when I went to start it. Nothing left on that I could find that would cause this. After a day and a half on the battery charger now fully recharged. Will be interested to see if you can figure out what your problem was/is. After clearing all the faults caused by the flat battery with my obdeleven I am not seeing any faults that might indicate a problem with any component.
    Last edited by puhleese; 05-04-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I connected my VRS to VCDS and again there were a large amount of errors caused by the dead battery. Once all the faults were cleared a couple still remained after a quick drive. One was the 'Steering angle sensor' and the other was the parking sensor could not be found (though parking sensors seem to be working correctly). Might need to take it into Skoda and get those items checked to see if thats whats causing the issue.

Users Country Flag
    Will watch your 'progress' with interest BTW Both those sensors wouldn't clear faults for me until the battery was absolutely 'full' and I had driven a few kms.

Users Country Flag
    I had similar issues Fairly new battery flat for no reason. Worked out I had pressed the wrong button on my reading lights and hadnt noticed it because my "Coming home" lights stayed on until i got out of the garage They were on 24/7 and I didnt use the car for two weeks
    Took 36 hours to bring the battery back up
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I had similar issues Fairly new battery flat for no reason. Worked out I had pressed the wrong button on my reading lights and hadnt noticed it because my "Coming home" lights stayed on until i got out of the garage They were on 24/7 and I didnt use the car for two weeks
    My car flashes the Hazards lights if that happens.
    2016 Oct RS
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I was hoping it would be something as simple as this..but I dont think that would explain the car going to 'sleep' and drawing next to no current, then spiking back up to 4amps every couple minutes. I would expect there to be a constant current drain on the system if something like a light was on in the car.

Have hooked this up to my VCDS and cleared all the faults from the battery running dead and the issue still persists. Battery goes from 13V to 12V in 24 hours (car untouched).

Recharging the battery now and will start checking some of the fuses.

Will let you know if I ever find the issue!

Users Country Flag
    Maybe your battery is too old or faulty. Get it tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Maybe your battery is too old or faulty. Get it tested.
    Battery is only a week old. I've used a basic battery tester that says the battery is good (once its fully charged). How could I test if its a faulty battery? Leave it unplugged from the car and see how long it takes to drain by itself?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spraderz View Post
    Battery is only a week old. I've used a basic battery tester that says the battery is good (once its fully charged). How could I test if its a faulty battery? Leave it unplugged from the car and see how long it takes to drain by itself?
    Take it back to where it was bought and get them to do a load test Also give the dealer the car for the night as my one put it on a machine to see if there was a parasitic drain
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast