Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bad smelling AC

Users Country Flag

bad smelling AC

hi everybody,

has anybody else experienced an issue with their octavia where the AC has a bad smell coming from it? I've got a 2016 MK3 Octavia and it's been pretty good up until about 2-3 weeks ago (just after its 1st service actually) and the AC now isn't smelling fantastic

In previous cars I've done the trick of putting some Glen20 through the system which appears to kill any bad bacteria which is in the system, thinking about doing the same in the Octavia

Users Country Flag
    How long have you had it? Changing the pollen filter seems to be a common solution for this problem.
    Now gone.... 2012 Skoda Fabia RS

Users Country Flag
    As per above, disinfectant bomb THEN change the filter.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubbadub View Post
    How long have you had it? Changing the pollen filter seems to be a common solution for this problem.

Had it since new - May 2016 is when I got it.

I checked Skodaparts.co.nz and see there are two cabin filters for the MK3 - Parts for air conditioning, heating|Skoda model Octavia 3 - Å*kodaParts Ltd any clues which one?

Users Country Flag
    FYI genuine from the dealer is cheaper.

Always get the carbon-activated one.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

My ex gf had the neighbor's cat piss on top of her bonnet a few times where the vents are on the old Golfs and the smell that came from turning the AC on.... Gewd Lawd!! Luckily that didn't last long. The situation that is, that stench is forever.

Users Country Flag
    I had the same issue - bad AC smell and the response from the dealer at it's first service (15k) was "your pollen filter is filthy & needs replacing, we also recommend a disinfectant bomb"

Was more expensive than I thought I should pay, for a car that was only 6months old, but Skoda Aus refused to treat it as a warranty claim as it's a filter, which isn't covered.

I don't park under dirty trees, I haven't been rallying in the car, and it's parked in a lockup garage at night, and I don't live in Beijing with the world's worst air pollution. I have NO idea how or why the filter got so bad.

My only thought is that the air-intake into the cabin isn't designed very well to deflect any external dirt sources, so EVERY particle ends up in the filter?

The ONLY thing I'm really not happy about with my car.
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Pollen filter is a maintenance item.

Only way it'd ever be replaced under warranty is if it had been damaged due to some other component failure.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    I had the same issue - bad AC smell and the response from the dealer at it's first service (15k) was "your pollen filter is filthy & needs replacing, we also recommend a disinfectant bomb"
    Absolutely - the filter is a consumable and needs to be replaced every 6~9 months

Was more expensive than I thought I should pay
    This is one of the dealership's gravy trains (gouging, rort, highway robbery, choose the term you prefer)

The carbon filters are cheap (I bought 5 from UK for $14 each and minimal postage)
    Glen 20 is a simple and somewhat effective approach but the AutoGlym Air/Con sanitizer is much more effective ($25~$27)
    Car Care Products / Autoglym / Interior / Air Freshener / Air-Con Sanitizer

I don't park under dirty trees, I haven't been rallying in the car, and it's parked in a lockup garage at night, and I don't live in Beijing with the world's worst air pollution. I have NO idea how or why the filter got so bad.
    Those factors are irrelevant

It's just the amount of time spent filtering air
    All that road film/grim that lands on the car is also going through the filter

The aircon system creates humidity which goes through the filter
    Using recirculation mode a increases this problem
    These can lead to mildew which is one of the causes of the smell
    But recirculation is a good idea when getting into the car to warm or cool the interior quickly
    and while in rush hour traffic to minimise exhaust fumes in the car
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Pollen filter is a maintenance item.
    Only way it'd ever be replaced under warranty is if it had been damaged due to some other component failure.
    Agreed - but 6 months? Really?
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast