Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 162TSI - 8 or 4 injectors?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I managed to get by with sporadic chemical intake cleaning of various types up to now (145k) although when the intake was off at 95k for water pump my mech half-heartedly sprayed around some carbon clean. The inlet valves had about 2-3mm of build-up on them and I have no idea how much he cleaned off.

Recently I bought a catch can, mainly because the price was right, I was starting to feel guilty and I was curious to se what it actually "catched".

More importantly, I've ordered a cheap 6mm borescope to feed into the air temp sensr hole & have a look around and see if there really is a problem & if there's any difference before/after chemical cleans.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Do we know if catch cans are effective?
    Mine is only at 4300 km so while there should be nothing there but we currently do a lot of short journeys and that is the worst thing for any engine.
    Not terribly keen on chucking chemicals down the intake, goodness knows what they and the loosened material does to stuff downstream
    The borescope sounds a good investment but until I get a job we are on a strict no frills budget

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrycan View Post
    Do we know if catch cans are effective?
    Mine is only at 4300 km so while there should be nothing there but we currently do a lot of short journeys and that is the worst thing for any engine.
    Not terribly keen on chucking chemicals down the intake, goodness knows what they and the loosened material does to stuff downstream
    The borescope sounds a good investment but until I get a job we are on a strict no frills budget
    Catch Can - some swear by them, others say they do nothing. I bought mine as an experiment. I'll trial it for 12 months & if it appears to be doing nothing I'll move it on.

Petrol is a chemical and it's not much different to any of the other intake cleaners.

Injector / inlet cleaners are various combinations of light hydrocarbons (metho? Kero?), naptha, xylene and mineral turpentine.

If you don't like any of them jus do a water spray into the inlet of a running engine. It does help.

The chemicals / gunk isn't an issue if you do the clean just before you get a service done.

Borescope was cheap - <$25 but having been unemployed once myself, probably $25 better spent elsewhere.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12