Thread: Tornado Red Beetle

Tornado Red Beetle

So I ended up biting the bullet and bought my wife a Tornado Red Beetle.

Almost fully optioned - I didn't like the sunroof so skipped that, but optioned the black leather seats, RNS nav, Sports Pack (paddle shifters, centre gauges, window tint and 18" alloys) and Tech Pack (Xenon headlights, keyless entry).

Had Saad from Obsession Car Detailing give it for a minor paint correction and opticoat finish, and it came up brilliantly. Pics below stolen from their blog.

Tornado Red Beetle-9719368585_dd04b39e3f_b-jpg

Tornado Red Beetle-9722595834_ce2c2907ac_b-jpg

Tornado Red Beetle-9719368607_f3c35f57ee_b-jpg

Tornado Red Beetle-9722596028_b7a1095869_b-jpg
    Last edited by jamesatfish; 11-01-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Whoa that red interior makes it stand out!
    The current itteration looks so much better than the last generation.

Users Country Flag
    we are about to buy the same car but in manual and only with the sports pack.
    how are you finding it now you've owned it for a few months ? no problems ?

No problems at all - it's a second car for my wife so it hasn't been driven all that much as yet, but there's nothing that needs attention at the first minor service when that is due.

My only issue is APR haven't been able to supply a tune for this engine as yet - still being worked on I believe - though obviously that's not a failing with the Beetle itself.

If yours a dsg, you need to get the oil changed. Theres a recall for that. Just did mine on thursday and they also updated the dsg software. It appears mine (Fender Edn) was like 2 programs out of date
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Quote Originally Posted by mr gee View Post
    If yours a dsg, you need to get the oil changed. Theres a recall for that. Just did mine on thursday and they also updated the dsg software. It appears mine (Fender Edn) was like 2 programs out of date
    Yes, ours is a DSG. Have been waiting to hear from VW and/or the dealer about the recall - no contact as yet. Might have to follow up next week.

So the recall letter arrived in the post yesterday - need to book in a time to get that sorted.

Given that my wife had only managed 500kms in 4 months I thought I'd take the Beetle for a run to the coast yesterday to stretch its legs.

All in all it was a fairly enjoyable drive - you certainly miss the power when it comes to overtaking on single lane highways, but through the twisty sections of the Clyde Mountain (mostly 70 or 90kph limit) it's a great little car to throw around. Because there's no huge burst of power you can actually use full throttle a lot more of the time through these sorts of roads, and you're encouraged to maintain momentum through the corners which is great fun in itself.

The cabin is just like any other modern VW so no surprises there, but the big windows generate a lot more wind noise than in a Golf when you're driving with them down.

Took mine to Canberra before Christmas just to run it in. Managed 6.1 l/100km
    quite enjoyable with the fender audio
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT