Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a second hand Beetle

Purchasing a second hand Beetle

Thought I'd get some advice from some owners on here.

So I've got a 2012 Scirocco which is great. Girlfriend wants to get a Beetle, but new is a bit out of her budget.

There are a few 2013 Beetles around for near the 23-27k range, but the question is, is it worth buying a Beetle that's just finished it's warranty?

The Scirocco I was ok with as it has the wet 6 speed DSG (less issues), but the Beetles Dry 7 Speed is the same as the Polo's that had the problems, correct?

Is it just a DSG potential issue with the posst 2013 Beetles, or are there other things to be careful of? Is it even worth looking at a second hand one, or should she just wait until she can get one with a warranty?

Cheeers.

Users Country Flag
    All ill say is that the 7 speed DSG is problematic and the 1.4 twincharge engine they use in the Beetle is also problematic - so buyer beware. At least if she would consider a manual gearbox then she will reduce the chance of issues.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Purchasing a second hand Beetle

I love the beetles but I'd only buy new and keep until the warranty ran out.

The other thing is if you can purchase one still under warranty you can then buy the warranty extension for 2 years. Though given the checkered history of the engine/gearbox combo it's pretty much a ticking time bomb. Not if its going to blow up but when.

The newer ones should be better but I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2013 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 29-01-2016 at 08:52 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

I got a 2013 mk3 Beetle (Fender Edition)
    Whilst it has the twincharger 1.4L, the engine has been upgraded from CAVD to CTHD and should not have the problems that earned the CAVD it's poor reputation.

The 7 speed DSG has since had an improved clutch, remapped DSG program and the oil specification change. Personally, no issues with my car

If you do buy one, make sure it is dealer maintained as there were a couple of recall campaigns done on the car.
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I love the beetles but I'd only buy new and keep until the warranty ran out.

The other thing is if you can purchase one still under warranty you can then buy the warranty extension for 2 years. Though given the checkered history of the engine/gearbox combo it's pretty much a ticking time bomb. Not if its going to blow up but when.

The newer ones should be better but I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2013 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers tigger. Yep. Would be a 2013 (newer ones). The pre 2013 just look crap inside and out (subjective of course).

Was thinking about the extended warranty. Have to look into it more.

Quote Originally Posted by mr gee View Post
    Whilst it has the twincharger 1.4L, the engine has been upgraded from CAVD to CTHD and should not have the problems that earned the CAVD it's poor reputation.

The 7 speed DSG has since had an improved clutch, remapped DSG program and the oil specification change. Personally, no issues with my car

If you do buy one, make sure it is dealer maintained as there were a couple of recall campaigns done on the car.
    Would be the same Model. Pre 2013 was CAVD I assume (just read another post on it).

Just don't like the thought of buying brand new cars, too much depreciation loss in the first few years (especially when a 2 year old car is the same model).

I'm guessing a simple tune would be worthwhile then for these engines and help with longevity? Has the 7speed DSG issues been rectified?

So far no issues with the 7 DSG. Also use 98 octane exclusively
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mr gee View Post

I'm thinking of buying one of these.
    Anyone got any issues to report?
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Just dont buy first or second gen , quality very low .
    Girlfriend with 2006 and I keep having to glue something back on.

Purchasing a second hand Beetle-img_3147-jpg

We still got it. Almost 70k kms regular maintenance and only thing that broke was pax door lock assembly (failed electric motor - common mk5 and mk6 golf issue)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purchasing a second hand Beetle-img_3314-jpg  
    Last edited by mr gee; 17-02-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast