Thread: Ordered new VW Beetle

Users Country Flag

Ordered new VW Beetle

Hi All,
    Last weekend my wife and I placed an order for a new 6 speed manual Tornado Red Beetle with Tech Pack and Sunroof. Won't get the car for 4 months as none were available in OZ in that colour. We were really impressed with the looks and the way the car handled on the test drive.
    I have been reading threads on the web regarding reliability issues with the 118TSI motor regarding some owners needing engines replaced in there MK 6 Golfs due to cylinder failure. My understanding is this was addressed by a service campaign to have the car tuned for Australia's poor quality PULP. I would appreciate any feedback from VW Beetle or Jetta owners on how their 118TSI engines are performing since the service campaign?
    Oh! And congratulation on such a great web site!

Congrats on the purchase!

We've got a Tornado Red Beetle ourselves - 2013 build. We haven't had any issues with the engine - no excessive oil consumption, no smoking exhaust or anything else to indicate an issue. Obviously it's still under warranty if anything goes wrong so I haven't even given it a second thought until now.

Congratulations on the purchase!

There's a white one that is parked a few streets away from my house and I love seeing it as it's a great looking car.

I would make sure you keep the car maintained as per manufacturers recommendations. Even though the engine is probably a lot better than the earlier (2010) models in terms of reliability I wouldn't be taking any risks with the warranty.

Once it's out of warranty.... I'd be trading in on a new one

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

New Beetle

Quote Originally Posted by jamesatfish View Post
    Congrats on the purchase!

We've got a Tornado Red Beetle ourselves - 2013 build. We haven't had any issues with the engine - no excessive oil consumption, no smoking exhaust or anything else to indicate an issue. Obviously it's still under warranty if anything goes wrong so I haven't even given it a second thought until now.
    Thanks for the reply. I am confident that the problems with the 118TS1 have been addressed. Seems to be mostly 2009/2010 model 118TSI engines affected going on the lack of threads on later model cars. I like your reversing camera mod by the way. Still deciding wether or not to have the Satnav fitted; if I do I may do the mod myself.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase!

There's a white one that is parked a few streets away from my house and I love seeing it as it's a great looking car.

I would make sure you keep the car maintained as per manufacturers recommendations. Even though the engine is probably a lot better than the earlier (2010) models in terms of reliability I wouldn't be taking any risks with the warranty.

Once it's out of warranty.... I'd be trading in on a new one
    Thanks!
    Will only be serviced by VW and PULP fuel from Shell or Caltex. Might take up an extended warranty if we keep the car longer than 3 years though we do tend to upgrade our cars frequently so will probably trade up.

Welcome, we have a Fender edition ourself. Great car. Love the stereo
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag
    I know this is an old thread - sadly, the Beetle forum doesn't seem to be very active :'(

First of all - congrats on your purchase, by now you will have been driving it for over a year

I've had a 2013 build tornado-red Beetle for a year. I LOVE my car! The newest Beetles are just gorgeous. I've always loved the classic Beetle, but the older-new Beetle was never my cup of tea. This model resembles the older model more and isn't so girly. It's stunning, and I get a lot of compliments for it! It looks particularly striking in red. Lovely to drive too.

However, it does burn the oil pretty quickly. At about 10,000kms, my car's oil light lit up. The dipstick was dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaixin View Post
    I know this is an old thread - sadly, the Beetle forum doesn't seem to be very active :'(

First of all - congrats on your purchase, by now you will have been driving it for over a year

I've had a 2013 build tornado-red Beetle for a year. I LOVE my car! The newest Beetles are just gorgeous. I've always loved the classic Beetle, but the older-new Beetle was never my cup of tea. This model resembles the older model more and isn't so girly. It's stunning, and I get a lot of compliments for it! It looks particularly striking in red. Lovely to drive too.

However, it does burn the oil pretty quickly. At about 10,000kms, my car's oil light lit up. The dipstick was dry.
    You don't check your oil regularly?

This is the only active site I know of. Unfortunately 1.4 TSIs are very low on the ground

The Beetle
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Quote Originally Posted by Kaixin View Post

10,000kms before your oil light comes on is not a lot of oil, approx 600mls. I have owned quite a few cars from new and have had to top up in the first 15000kms as the engine is still wearing in. Strangely my Beetle has not needed topping up yet (12000kms; will be serviced 1yr in 15 days time). I guess your Beetle's oil consumption will settle down a bit once worn in. VW Sutherland gave me a 1 litre bottle of oil when the car was handed over to me. They said to expect a little oil consumption and that they would refill / top up the bottle at each service.

Yes the Beetle site is a very quite. I would look around the Golf 6, Jetta, and Tiguan forums as the Beetle shares many of the same components eg 118TSI engine and transmission. One thing i learnt is that in MY13.5 the 118TSI Twincharger had quite a lot of internal components changed to beef up the robustness of the engine. The early pre 2012 CAVD 118TSI had a bad habit of cracking pistons. The CTHD 118TSI got new forged pistons and oil squirters added to target the under side of the pistons. This eased my concerns about the reliability of the engine.