Support VWWC

Thread: OEM RVC Install on 2012+ Beetle

OEM RVC Install on 2012+ Beetle

As anyone who owns a current gen Beetle will know, VW don't offer a reversing camera option for some reason.

Thankfully the VW parts bin is shared widely across models, and the OEM hatch-mounted reversing camera from the Mk6 Golf is a perfect fit for Beetles fitted with the RNS510 navigation system.

I won't go into a full DIY write-up as the process is pretty much identical to that excellently described by ozmale over on the (vwgolf.net.au forum), with a few changes:

•I bought my RVC from Bold Sport - model 5K0 827 469 AS. It's the OEM camera with all the wiring looms pre-built, avoiding the need to wire up your own looms as per the DIY write-up. You can buy it here.

•In the Beetle the best way to run the power and camera wires is from the fusebox on the driver's side, up the A Pillar, through the headliner to the weatherproof conduit that leads into the hatch. From there follow the existing cabling down the passenger's side of the hatch.

•The reversing light power runs from the driver's side light cluster up into the headliner, then follows the power and camera wires to the hatch.

•To save pulling apart the fusebox you can use an 'Add-A-Circuit' fuse adapter if you prefer. There's a 10A fuse in the Beetle (assuming you've got the Tech Pack) that powers the keyless entry receiver, so it is the ideal place to tap an always-on 12V source. I'll probably go back and wire it up properly at a later time, but it's working quite nicely with the fuse adapter.

•The angle of the Beetle hatch is different to the Golf, so although the camera image still works perfectly the parking guidance lines are in the wrong place on the RNS screen (they point to the sky).

It's not a difficult install by any means - the hardest part of the process is pulling the cables through the headliner and the tight conduit into the hatch. Having some electrician's flexible plastic pulling strips (no idea of the technical term…) will make the job much easier.

The end result is exactly as it should have been done at the factory.

OEM RVC Install on 2012+ Beetle-img_0314-copy-jpg

OEM RVC Install on 2012+ Beetle-img_0315-copy-jpg

Users Country Flag
    That's some nice work there.

I do love the current Beetle... now if only you could get the GSR in Australia it would be a done deal for me.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I was hanging out for a Beetle with the 2.0L Golf GTI/R engine but I've been surprisingly impressed with the 1.4TSI, even in 100% stock form whilst I wait for my APR tune.

Ours is a 7 speed DSG and the quick take-up from the DSG plus the kick of low down torque from the supercharger means that around town the Beetle is fantastic to drive. The torque curve on the twin charger motor is dead flat from around 1500rpm, where as the stock Mk6 R doesn't make that same torque until around 2200rpm (though admittedly the R does ramp up beyond that point pretty quickly whereas the Beetle has already given all it's got).

With the convenience of keyless entry and now I've got the reversing camera sorted I'm actually choosing to drive the Beetle every day and leaving the R in the garage.

Of course on long trips the lack of power of the 1.4 makes overtaking a chore and that's where you really miss the larger capacity engines.

Users Country Flag
    I know this post is old, but Im hopeing you could give me any tips or anything you had for the headliner part. I have all the stuff ready to start the install, but im nervouse about running in the headliner, I can't seem to find anything on the removal or anything. do you have any tips since you've done the install already?

Thanks so much.

I didn't pull the headliner at all - there was no need.

Pull off all the plastic covering on the hatch itself to expose that end, which you'll need to do anyway to be able to swap the hatch / camera part itself.

Pull away the top corner of the A Pillar cover on the driver's side to expose the other end of the headliner.

Using a long flexible piece of plastic (the same sort of thing that electricians use to pull cabling through walls), push the plastic through from A Pillar to hatch above the headliner - there's plenty of space and nothing much there to be aware of. The run isn't all that long so an un-twisted metal coat hanger would probably do the trick just as well.

Attach the power and video cables to the plastic, pull back from the A Pillar side to pull the cables through the headliner.

Drop them down inside the A Pillar covering down to the fusebox which is where you'll be tapping the power, then run the video cable under the dash cluster to the back of the RNS510.

Unfortunately I don't have the car any more so I can't take any other pics, but it's a pretty simple process and definitely no need to remove the headliner just to run the cables.

Users Country Flag
    Awesome information! Thanks you so much for the reply! I was worried I'd have to pull it a little in order to get them through, but thats an awesome idea! Ill go to the hardware store tomorrow and get a plastic cable runner. I can't thank you enough for replying

No problems at all mate.

Be sure to post up some pics of the process so the next person that comes along in 3 years time to do the same job has an even easier time

BTW - I just noticed you are in the US. Just double-check the fuse box location - I'm pretty sure it's still Driver's side (so left in your case) but my comment about the fusebox location was specific to the RHD models.