Support VWWC

Thread: My 2013 Beetle.. Time to mod?

Users Country Flag

My 2013 Beetle.. Time to mod?

I'm the proud owner of a sexy 2013 Beetle.

It's black, fierce and very sexy. She's a perfect car for me! Whenever someone sees what I drive they always say "You couldn't have bought a car more suited to you"!

I picked her up on the 13th of September 2013 & I've just rolled over 21,000km's.

But I think it's now time to start modding her.. However, I have no idea where to start.

This is what I want to do -

>Lower her
    >APR Stage 1
    >Tint her windows
    >Install a sub
    >So much more...

Where should I start? I've not seen a modded Beetle in Aus yet. I want to make my car stand out more so than she already does. Who's got some recommendations?

Cheers =)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by WABeetle View Post
    >Lower her
    >APR Stage 1
    >Tint her windows
    >Install a sub
    >So much more...

Where should I start? I've not seen a modded Beetle in Aus yet. I want to make my car stand out more so than she already does. Who's got some recommendations?

Cheers =)
    All of the above?

What color is it?

A tune on the twincharger will definitely make a difference, you might like to go stage 2 and play with the exhaust as well if you want to stand out.

I'd be looking at a set of wheels as well, something sporty but perhaps retro in keeping with the theme of the car.

If you proceed, please do a build thread, should be an interesting one!

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It's black, I added the sports package & tech package, so it's got the 18" twisters. They're awesome rims & the tyres feel very sturdy.

With the exhaust, I've called heaps of places around Perth and none have ever touched a 2013 Beetle. They have no exhausts to fit it etc, so I'll need to buy everything online. But the issue is that I don't know what's good and what's not.

I was just looking at APR's site & stage 2 seems cool, but they only offer intake filters. Bloody 1.4L 118. WHY would VW offer only 1 engine type.

American's love modding this model Beetle and they look fantastic.

Users Country Flag
    Yep just read your intro post. If you're happy with the OEMs then yeah just a nice lowering will do the job to finish the look off, and a nice dark tint to give it a blacked out look. Suits the Beetle shape I reckon.

As for exhaust components - I'm sure there will be systems available - as you said it is a heavily modded car overseas. Just depends whether it is cost effective or not to bring one over, but a good exhaust shop should be able to fabricate a nice system up at reasonable cost locally. Just need to find the right shop in WA. Of course the cost/benefit ratio won't be high on that one - the best bang for buck will be the tune itself.

There's a number of 118TSIs running a tune on here, what you want to do is acquaint yourself with it: The great big MK6 Golf 118TSI tuning thread

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Thanks for that link. It's a great read.

So I should be upgrading my brakes as well, if I'm gonna flash it??

My friend who has a 9n3 Polo GTI bought it flashed and it had stock brakes and sway bars.. After a few months of driving it, he started having issues and the control arm link snapped. This is pretty much why I've been so apprehensive about getting my car flashed!

Everyone's telling me to be careful and do the upgrades properly. I want to keep this car until at least early 2017, so maintenance is critical.

Congrats on the purchase!

Re the tune - the MY13 Beetle has the latest generation ECU that APR hasn't been able to crack as yet. I've been waiting since I picked up my wife's Beetle in August last year but the most recent update this month was that there is still no ETA for when might be ready.

Bigger brakes should be a consideration whenever you add power but at 180kW tuned the stock brakes should be OK for street driving.

If you find a good exhaust upgrade overseas please let me know as I've been considering the same myself but no luck so far.

That's a shame about the tune! I guess the demand is very low, hence their lack of speed to develop it! Super frustrating.

Thanks for the tip about the brakes. I'll keep looking for exhausts!