Support VWWC

Thread: Boost issue with 2013 beetle 118TSI

Users Country Flag

Boost issue with 2013 beetle 118TSI

Hello all,
    I have been experiencing a boost related problem with my beetle and wanted to know if anybody else has had the same problem.

My beetle has the sports pack which includes the dash mounted gauges.
    Under normal driving conditions I see 2.0-2.1bar of boost pressure at full throttle.

What I have been experiencing regularly is the will sometimes only boost to 1.5 bar of boost under full throttle and there is a noticeable decrease in power when this happens.

After driving for a another 15 or so minutes the boost restores itself to normal and the power is normal again.

No check engine lights come on and the vw dealer can't find anything wrong with it or any bulletins addressing this issue.

If anybody can share their similar experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Does any body read this forum or has had a similar problem ?

not having boost gage on my car, I cannot comment on your problem, I have not experienced any problem similar to yours.

but is it possible there might be a problem in the switching between supercharger and turbo? I attach a simple schematic to illustrate the boost pressure re: supercharger and turbo (sorry it's in german)

Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag
    Yes there is a change over solenoid from turbo to charger..this used to cause same issues on golf 5 GT also didnt log a code but cured the issue....on the GT it used to be a bit more noticeable tho...when it was bad the charger would work and power ok in the lower rpm but at that 3000rpm mark on change over to turbo it would die and turbo didnt cut in.... if you changed gear below 3000 full throttle they have no issues just after then the turbo kicked...VDUB...
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

well the car has just had its 30'000km service and the service department still cannot replicate the fault to diagnose the issue. they advise me that they have checked everything that could be causing the issue but cannot find the cause of my complaint.
    when my wife drives it she doesn't seem to notice it but when i am driving i am accelerating with WOT more often and i notice it straight away when it happens. now it seems to be maybe only happening once or twice every two weeks, but it gives me the ****s when it happens, it was a new car and it was meant to be faultless. i am at the point where i am contemplating purchasing a Ross-Tech VAG tool and try and data log the car until i can replicate the fault and flag that data and then present it to the dealer but i shouldn't have to do there job for them.
    feeling frustrated...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ohhbugger View Post
    well the car has just had its 30'000km service and the service department still cannot replicate the fault to diagnose the issue. they advise me that they have checked everything that could be causing the issue but cannot find the cause of my complaint.
    when my wife drives it she doesn't seem to notice it but when i am driving i am accelerating with WOT more often and i notice it straight away when it happens. now it seems to be maybe only happening once or twice every two weeks, but it gives me the ****s when it happens, it was a new car and it was meant to be faultless. i am at the point where i am contemplating purchasing a Ross-Tech VAG tool and try and data log the car until i can replicate the fault and flag that data and then present it to the dealer but i shouldn't have to do there job for them.
    feeling frustrated...
    Hard to diagnose a car when the fault is intermittent and it doesn't happen @ time of testing. Unless you are willing to leave your car for numerous weeks at the dealership so they can fault it, then what they can do is data log the boost levels, airflow readings, fuel etc and see what is actually happening, leaving the vehicle for a day to diagnose a intermitant fault when they have several other cars to deal with is not ideal in any normal world.

But yes my money is on the changeover flap.

at 15'000k they had it for a week and i even let the techs take it home and 30'000k they had it for 2 days. so they have given it a red hot go. i understand that they are burning un-applied diagnostic time that they can not charge for and not claim as they have not fixed anything so i am grateful for that (i also have worked in dealerships) but it is still frustrating none the less. as this particular fault is not logging any fault codes or a history snapshot so yeah i totally understand they are stabbing in the dark until it does it for them also.

Users Country Flag
    A video clip of the issue on your mobile phone up the boost gauge would help

Helped me when I had temperamental starter motor issues.
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

i did that as well, i supplied two videos to them with it happening in every gear from standing still to 100 km/hr
    but they still couldn't figure it out and tried to tell me maybe the gauge was faulty, in which i replied why am i loosing horsepower then.

ok so the car went in for it's 45'000 Km service and i raised the issue of the boost problem again and was given the same "we will check it out" line. Every other time it has been to the dealer the car has performed 100% but this time the tech reported on test drive it did it on 1st gear on take off, they wrote it off as torque protection and left it at that. when i went to pick up the car and was explained this i informed them that this was the problem and it does it in all the gears when the fault is active, after this i refused to take the car until they took me seriously, it escalated to a long conversation with the service manager about how they are always telling me that if they cannot see the problem they cannot fix it and now they have seen the problem they are sending me away !!
    the service manager has agreed to communicate with VWA to try and work on a fix and i have been communicating back to them every time the fault happens and the conditions it happens under. I bought another car so this is now the second car and have even offered the dealer the car for a month but they are not interested in taking it until they here something back from VWA which kind of feels like a brush off. I Love the car but i am getting at my wits end with this. it's only a small problem but i have been stuck with it since the first week of the car being new.

I have no idea where to go to from here...