Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VIC B3 Passat Estate

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Need some help. Doing my head in and can't figure it out for the life of me.

See video for what is happening. This is starting if cold, left over night and trying around lunch time. Car fires up, then begins to do this, coughing / surging with the idle. When it is warm it goes away and runs pretty nice, however the idle is too high ( not sure exactly as I don't have a bloody rpm guage, has a huge clock instead )

Any help is much appreciated. Unplugging the coolant temp sensor when starting cold seems to have some effect, the car idles super low and nearly cuts out. Plugging it back in puts it back into doing this.

When warm, unplugging the DPR seems to lower the RPM a little... Cleaned all the grounds, thinking possibly the o2 sensor? TB and ISV cleaned out. No vac leaks...

b3 Passat 16v 9a K-Jet Manual ( was auto, has a vr6 gear box 02a is it? ) ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x(

Cheers team, many thanks for any help / info. Been googling for days on end, no sleep

this is the idle when warm, not sure how many rpm, like I said, no gauge

Users Country Flag
    Is it stinking rich? I don't think lambda as it would get worse when hot not the other way around.

You should catch Dom as he has my Passat Bentley manual still. Then troubleshoot it from there.

Gavin

Will chat to Dom. I just played around with the vacuum coming from the inlet manifold the one by the cold start valve. It connects to the oil breather hose and also attaches to the side of the air box. If I take this small hose off and cover it up with my thumb it brings the idle down. Can I install a catch can?? Block off the hole from the air box and vacuum into the catch can.

Users Country Flag
    I would say don't do catch can, just fix what it should have. VW spend millions working all this kind of thing out and everyone is piggyback this and aftermarket that.

What are you calling the cold start valve. The 5th injector in the end of the manifold? Or the ISV idle stab valve?

https://sites.google.com/a/vdubparto...w/P1020448.JPG

This pipe here. It is so gunked up and destroyed, it had a tear in it on the bend from the crank case. I repaired a temp fix with silicon tape. The pipe on the right, that runs up to the cold start valve? Thats the pipe if I cover with my thumb it brings the idle down and seems to run a little nicer. The left pipe goes to the airbox.

Turns out you the pipe is discontinued, ha like most things on this car.

Can I bypass the oil breather? And run the vacuum line straight into the airbox? Then catch can the breather?

Users Country Flag
    Still better to replicate the std set up. VW didn't make it like that for a laugh. Have you got the part number of that pipe?

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    VW PASSAT 2.0 16V BREATHER HOSE 027 103 217 G | eBay

VW Corrado 2.0 1.8 16v G60 VR6 - Oil Breather Hose 051 133 394 & 027 103 217 E | eBay

There's 2 for you. I'd go with the top one and ask if they ship here.

Otherwise I'd be plumbing it the same and make note that there is a restricter inline in the skinny pipe. Don't throw that away.

Cheers for that. I'll check them out

Here it is, blocking off that vacuum you can hear the idle sit and idle a lot nicer.

^ oil breather hose. So much gunk, air hardly gets through to the air box.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast