Support VWWC

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 B1 Passat Project

Users Country Flag

1980 B1 Passat Project

OK. I know I've already got oo many projects on but Jodie was determined to save this Passat.

It's a B1 "Facelift" or "Update" model. Parts are going to be nearly impossible to find, there can't be too many of these in Australia.

It's taken a bit hit in LHR 1/4 but I've found a '74 1/4 that should do the trick.

High comp 1600, massive exhaust!

We collected it yesterday and started on the interior and cleaning the engine bay.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I had these seat covers lying around, relax, they're not permanent! They'll keep the seats nice while I'm working on it.
    Last edited by Peter Jones; 21-12-2008 at 01:00 PM.

lol those seat rails and mechanism things looks exactly like the one from my golf which is 14 years newer.

Users Country Flag
    great to see that your saving a rare Dub looking forward to seeing it back on the road again!
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

Anybody know what these back brakes are?

The pads are DB-1104.

Back to the world of fun that is my driveway!

I'll pop up some more pics later on.

Pete

Users Country Flag
    Awsome Pete! There was an orange '74 Passat coupe at Pickles here a few weeks ago with a hit in the rear drivers side. We thought about nabbing it but decided to put our minimal cash towards the mk1 Golf rescuing!
    Dunno who bought it...
    -1990 Mk2 GTI 5-door with AMK 20vt (260hp @ wheels)
    -Arrow/Rotax 125 TAG X1E Go Kart

Just figured out the brakes. The caliper is off the rear of a Nissan Pulsar of all things. I'll have to take a closer look at how it all mounts up.

Pete

looks good , whats the motor like power wise?
    cheers brenton
    MK1 4door
    MK2VR6
    MK3VR6
    Transporter
    1st place, stock MK3VR6. Vw nationals 07
    2nd place, mod MK2VR6. Vw nationals 09
    and untold wrecks

Here's the text from the e-bay listing. The motor details are vague. It has heaps of compression. I Haven't been able to properly drive it yet because the panel grabs that rear tyre and robs a lot of horse power.

Selling this car AS IS and the buyer is kindly asked to organise it's transportation.

This car is the hard-to-find facelift model of the b1 passat. It was imported new from Germany by an elderly man from Wangaratta, who held onto it for a number of years until it was acquired by some neighbours (A lady owner, if that makes a difference).

Being a B1 passat enthusiast and owner of many, I spotted this and drove for 4 hours each way from Melbourne to buy it and bring it back down.

It was originally a diesel and still has the original diesel gearbox, which has been maintained. It has an ultra-lightened flywheel too.

The engine was purchased by me from a private seller and engineer (and another B1 passat enthusiast) who completely restored and blueprinted the engine using the best parts possible including GT
    flat-top pistons, 'Scat' brand valves etc. each little part was of very high quality and designed for performance. I have dyno readings showing this engine reaching 139 hp (this engine originally came with 75 hp
    or 85 hp with the twin-barrel carby). It's the same engine used in the golfs and audi 80's/foxes and will fit into nearly any 4 vw/audi without modification to mounts etc.

currently fitted with a reco-ed 32/36 twin throat weber carby, it was used as a daily driver by my mum for the last 5 years while i was overseas. it is EXTREMELY fuel efficient, but can be tweaked for
    performance if need be. It has never been thrashed. In fact there was never enough time or money to fully tune it for performace etc. The matched dizzy and electronic ignition system it came with was stolen before the
    engine went into the car.

It has slightly lowered springs, a heavy duty sway bar and it might even be the only B1 with FOUR WHEEL DISC BRAKES! the front ones are big and use easy-to-find nissan pads. I have four alloys to
    throw in on the deal too. the car has the tachometer out of the passat 'TS'.

I can't even remember all of the other engine stuff, but has many other little things such as a custom oil sump, extractors, etc. It has a 2" exhaust, 'turbo' muffler and 3" tip. Produces a deep note.

Engine still starts, but have recently taken battery out. It's a good quality AC DECO european battery, which will come with the car of course.

About 5 months ago, it was hit in the driver's side rear panel, just before I returned from overseas and my folks allowed it to run out of rego. It was a reliable daily driver and obviously unique.

I had it resprayed in Jaguar british racing green, however this may no longer be much of a selling point, due to the car's BAD POINTS:

- the smashed panel
    - body/paintwork not perfect: chips, dents
    - basically every door lock has been damaged by attempted theives
    - the steering wheel, which was once a nice piece, is deteriorating
    - the dash is utterly cracked, as is common with EVERY single example of a B1 (can be replaced with a later audi model dash, I believe)
    - interior tatty. I also just gave away the sound system it one had.

All in all, this car would suit and enthusiast/collector, someone wanting to utilise the 'hot' engine in the car (forgot to mention the 'hot' cam and heavy duty valve springs), someone wanting a unique project,
    somone wanting to just rip out the interior and race this around a track or outback.

It has rally lights hidden behind the grill, a rear louvre, a rare and valueable spoiler, which is interchangeable with most cars.

can probably roll/tow it home. prob just need a crow bar to bend read fender up a bit higher and shove on one of the spare wheels.

I have decided to have no reserve on this item, as I am grateful enough that it is going to someone who cares.

yeah i saw it up on ebay , maybe you should put in a nice(slower) motor so you can use that one in one of your mk1's lol
    MK1 4door
    MK2VR6
    MK3VR6
    Transporter
    1st place, stock MK3VR6. Vw nationals 07
    2nd place, mod MK2VR6. Vw nationals 09
    and untold wrecks

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast