Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 B1 Passat Project

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Cool Pete.

I'm back from holidays now, any time I can come round for a Geez?
    Yeah, I'm on holidays 'till the 5th. Give me a call sometime.

Pete

Users Country Flag
    Cool project you got there. Is it rear wheel drive?

Is it wise to have the fuel filter between the pump and the carby? Any beetle owner (the old beetles I mean) will tell you that it's a recipe for fire if the filter gets blocked. There again beetles are quite prone to catch fire, but isn't the principle the same. Just a thought anyway
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Quote Originally Posted by greasykitchen View Post
    Cool project you got there. Is it rear wheel drive?

Is it wise to have the fuel filter between the pump and the carby? Any beetle owner (the old beetles I mean) will tell you that it's a recipe for fire if the filter gets blocked. There again beetles are quite prone to catch fire, but isn't the principle the same. Just a thought anyway
    Thanks, the car is front wheel drive.The rear end is same setup as current Polo!

That filter is going, I've got an electric pump looking for a new home and I'll relocate the filter to before the pump, probably under the car somewhere. All of the fuel hoses and clamps will get replaced as I work my way through the engine bay.

There's a lot of things in this car that aren't terribly well thought out (to say the least) that fuel filter is high on the list.

Pete

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    Thanks, the car is front wheel drive.The rear end is same setup as current Polo!

Pete
    Shows us how modern they were back then
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag

That filter is going, I've got an electric pump looking for a new home and I'll relocate the filter to before the pump, probably under the car somewhere. All of the fuel hoses and clamps will get replaced as I work my way through the engine bay.

There's a lot of things in this car that aren't terribly well thought out (to say the least) that fuel filter is high on the list.

Pete
    Of course you've got it all sorted. I guess it's not too much of a problem if you can't even drive it yet

And as it's not a transverse engine I thought it might be rear wheel drive, but my knowledge is limited. Can't believe the rear end is the same as a modern Polo - was it advanced or is the Polo living in the past?

Cheers
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

The car still had all of it's glowplug circuitry all in place including the relay and holder. I've removed most of that wiring now.
    have you still got this???

mike

ps. keep up the good work
    TDI mk1 on the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by mollins View Post
    have you still got this???

mike

ps. keep up the good work
    Yep. The base is still in the car, I haven't fully extracted it from the loom yet.

Pete

Pumped the back guard out the other night so it clears the tyre now.

Plan is to remove the outer skin, trial fit the new 1/4 and bring the inner guard out to meet it. I think I can get away without replacing the inner guard at this stage. I'll see how it looks once the skin is off.

Pete

If you are still looking for parts for the passat,try the northern rivers area of new south wales lots of wreckers in the area and they seem to have lots of older european cars

Thumbs up

Well Pete, it looks good. The shots of the engine bay are interesting, especially the placement of the battery and the brake servo and master cylinder, it is totally opposite to what is on mine, brakes left battery right side. I'll try to get some photos. I would love the steering wheel as it looks similar to the TS models. I also love the rear spoiler, I want one of those as well. I am chasing up a list of stuff for mine, via a few places. In the interior I want to get the centre console, gear and handbrake boots, new under dash and glovebox. At the moment I'm concentrating on getting the electric fuel pump re-located to where it should be, new shocks (current ones leaking), springs(rear end is sagging), new radiator, heater switch and cable and new tyres. It is a work in progress bit by bit when I can afford it, mainly trying to make and keep reliable as well as respraying the rear end which is badly crazed, and some other interior and exterior cosmetic issues. I also want the mags repaired and polished So far with the 1.8, the Holley 32/36, K&N filter and the 2 1/4 inch exhaust it goes like a rocket. Before the exhaust got done it was dynoed at the wheels at 66kw, with the exhaust have noticed a big increase in power.
    Last edited by vinderliker; 11-01-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Old Skool Passat Power Rules!!!
    1974 Passat LS with a SEAT 1.8, 32/36 Weber, full performance exhaust and a K&N filter. 80kw at the wheels??

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast