Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VWwA Used Car Guides (Type 1J) Bora 1999-2005

Users Country Flag

Question VWwA Used Car Guides (Type 1J) Bora 1999-2005

1999-2005 Bora (Type 1J) 2.0, 2.3 V5 (110kW), 2.3 V5 GLE (125kW), 2.8 V6 4Motion

If you have owned or own one of the models above; please state your experience with the Bora negatives and positives .

Also fill in the below blanks like below

example
    Model: Bora 2,0
    Engine: 2.0 with 85kW
    Year: 2004
    Any Problems ?: tyres fell off
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Model: Bora 2.8 V6 4motion
    Engine: 2.8 with 155 KW and 270 NM or thereabouts
    Year: 2001
    Rating out of 10 = 7.

Problems:

Window Regulators on the front doors, due to the plastic not being upto the job (Should really have been a recall by VW)
    Boot Carrier Plate, the plastic bit that moves with solenoid snapped off. Once again plastic not upto the job.
    Clutch Pressure plate (Replaced under dealer warranty, clutch was only at half so very likely the way the previous owner drove)
    Clutch Pedal Welds snapped because of the spot welds and not fully welded. Leaving me pretty much stranded.(Dangerous)
    ESP Sensor on the front left will pump on a fast sweeping right hander when it really shouldn't be.
    Knocking on the rear suspension. Likely the top bump mounts, only in the cold.
    Brake Light switch.I Replaced from VW. Should also be a recall.
    Air-con flapper positioning motor. Can't find home position.

Gripes:
    ESP Can't be turned off completely.
    Haldex Sports Controller should have been standard.

It's a bit of everything, tow-car, town-car,snow-car,beach car etc. has a great soundtrack and it's pretty damn safe not the quickest car around but all the better for me to stay alive ! (I finally managed to get the back out in the rain ! fun fun !) On that note the EBD works really well increases the pedal pressure when the car thinks you need it. It works really well. Also Insurance isn't astronomical. Can be driven frugally i.e. about 10.0 Litres/100 but I am not that patient. Swaybar and haldex are highly recommended ! Even with all the minor problems I encountered with the car, it has been pretty reliable overall and I would recommend it if you had similar criteria to me.

Drive-train is great ! And it should last as it is rated for much more power ! I.E. S3's/ R32's

Modifications:
    Swaybar
    Haldex controller
    HPA Short Shifter
    RDA disks and redstuff pads
    205/55 R16's RE001's very sticky !
    Last edited by qsilverza; 24-11-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    Audi B4 80 Q V6 '94 Race Car !! KEGGED
    Audi B4 80 V6 Avant '94 Only one in the country that I know of !!! KEGGED
    Subaru Forester XT '06 Genome Exhaust/Car-PC/Boost Gauge/Oettingers !
    --VW Bora V6 4mo '01 Gone

Quote Originally Posted by phaeton View Post
    Any Problems ?: tyres fell off
    lol...

Engine: 2.8 V6 150KW
    Year: 2003 (1 owner... ME )
    Rating out of 10 = 8.

Gripes:
    I find the suspension is a bit on the soft side, as it seems to float over dips and rises when going at speed.
    Should've had the W8 backlit sunroof control panel (should've got one when the A$ was high).
    Bi-Xenons shopuld have been an option in Aus (option available in Europe), since the car pretty much came with no options (dealers must've cried about that!)
    DTE should've been enabled in factory (i've since done the mod)
    Shifter throw is a bit long for this type of car
    Wife only gets about 400km out of a tank!

4motion is awesome on takeoff, especially in the wet! Insurance is cheap for a car which cost $50k+ when new (currently about $650 for me)

Modifications:
    K&N Panel Filter
    DTE mod to Trip Computer
    Short Shifter.
    Last edited by FarQ; 05-12-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Users Country Flag
    Model: Bora V6 4Motion
    Engine: 2.8L 15º V6, 150kW, 270Nm
    Year: 2003
    Problems: I bought the car second hand (technically third hand). I had some noise from the steering/front suspension when applying lock, an upgraded front sway bar has mostly fixed this, but I think I'll be replacing all bushings when I replace the suspension.

I had the AWD controller replaced with the Haldex sport model at the same time as the front swaybar was done, and it really makes a difference to the car's handling - it doesn't drop the front outside corner anywhere near as much on corners now, maintaining a much more level stance, and the power shift to the rear is much quicker and more evident. A rear bar is next, and then probably a front strut brace.

Speaking of suspension, it's a real mixed bag. Crashes a lot on slow rough surfaces, yet floaty at speed - I suspect the struts and springs aren't terribly well matched, or maybe just not well matched to Sydney's cruddy roads. I'm investigating coilovers as the long term replacement, though if I go that way it'll be the higher-end models with adjustable rebound and damping so I can tune them to the conditions.

Brakes aren't bad, but I'm upgrading anyway to R32 brakes and braided lines.

I may end up having a flash done to the standard chip, gains to 165kW and around 300Nm are possible apparently, as well as tweaking the engine's power delivery. Long term, I'd love to look at forced induction (as much as that might destroy the lovely linear nature of the engine) for more power. 150kW is nice, and surprises a few people, 250kW would be nicer. For the track, of course!

The interior is all leather, and is nice. There's some squeaks and rattles, but it is a 5yo car. The seats are a touch narrow for my fat butt (though I suspect my bad hip is really the problem here, as that's what hurts after a long time at the wheel). The gearbox is pretty sweet, though a short-shift kit wouldn't go astray

The overall plan is to keep it as a clean looking sleeper.
    Nothing to see here...

Bora 2.8 V6 4motion

Engine: 2.8 with 155 KW and 270 NM
    Year: 2003
    Rating out of 10 = 7.

Problems:
    Window Regulators on the front doors, due to the plastic - it should have been metal to start with (as in the repair kit).
    Brake Light switch. I had mine replaced by VW.

Gripes:
    Haldex Sports Controller should have been standard.
    Suspension is a bit soft - although easily fixed with upgrade.
    Short shift and stiffer dogbone helps here too.

It's a real sleeper. Great interior. It is great fun in the wet especially once the suspension, swaybars and Haldex upgrade is done and with proper breathing it can put out a great sound.

Insurance isn't too bad either are running costs.
    Although like all cars you can have minor problems from time to time, it has been pretty reliable overall.
    Has great potential for more power if chipped (or forced induction if you have the cash).

Modifications:
    Neuspeed Swaybars (front and rear)
    Koni FSD Shocks
    Haldex Sports controller
    Neuspeed Short Shifter
    INA Street Density dogbone mount
    BMC CDA Cold Air intake
    EBC disks and redstuff pads
    17" Siata alloy wheels
    225/45 R17's Hankook Ventus S1 EVO K107 - good grip for the price!

Thinking about:
    Eibach Pro Kit Springs - for handling but not sure if I want to go lower (steep driveway)
    ECU reflash by Custom Code or Revo - but not sure about bang for buck!

Pretty happy overall.
    Last edited by tigger19; 13-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    2003 Bora V6 4Motion

Model: Bora Black Manual
    Engine: 2.0 with 85 KW
    Rating out of 10 = 8.

Problems:
    Window Regulator on the passenger door
    MAF, O2 sensor, Thermo Stat etc etc

Gripes:
    Rear ride height compared to the front.
    All the plastic bits (windows etc) that just break down in time.
    The wooden gear nob when i have a aluminum looking trim else where?
    Headlights seem to be a bit average..?
    Doesn't indicate when oil is low (only alarms you when is completely run out)
    Its never clean!! (not VWs fault though)

The sound of the inline four, the amazing fuel economy (still better then alot of new small cars)
    Stock sound system, i think its very good for a car of its price.
    Great looking car.
    Parts are generally cheaper then other European cars IMO.
    For a 2 litre it seems to have a fair bit of go.

Modifications:
    Audi A8 18" wheels (in storage)
    DVD flip out display
    Sub and Amp (sold )
    Driving Lights (only one left lol)
    Tinting
    OEM Roof Racks
    BBS RS 17x9
    Coilovers
    Sway bar
    Adjustable Endlinks
    1/2 Joeymod headlights with inbuilt fogs

Thinking about:
    Debadging and filling.
    4mo front lip
    Euro style number plates.
    Bags if i don't buy a new car first

This was my first car, got it second hand with 60,000km on the clock, but comparing to my mates and family cars i think its a winner. Always gets a look in a town full of P platers driving old Commodores, old Falcons, lancers, and excels!
    Last edited by dylan8; 02-09-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Updated

Users Country Flag
    Model: Bora 2.8 V6 4motion Black with beige interior
    Engine: 2.8 with 155 KW and 270 NM
    Rating out of 10 = 8

Problems:

Usual problems :S

Brake Light switch (twice)
    Passenger side window regulator
    Clutch pedal welding
    MAF sensor
    Coolant temp sensor
    Punctured engine sump (twice)
    Nice feeling but deteriorating plastics everywhere

Gripes:
    Soft suspension - bottoms out easily - punctured sump!

Sleeper, good compromise between performance/luxury/fuel comsumption/price.
    Good quality soft leather.
    Good quality paint. Still looks so good when washed, people don't realise it's 9 years old.
    Good touring car, with enough power and handling to have fun.
    I like the simple boxy look. I don't like the new Jetta look at all.

Modifications:
    JVC headunit with DVD/USB/Asian languages/line-in/matching display colours with dash
    12" Pioneer Sub woofer
    Dangling Astro Boy
    Dodgy CAI job

Thinking about:
    R32 Exhaust mod
    New suspension, my shocks are shot! (any suggestions? I just want a bit firmer for comfortable street driving)
    Haldex controller mod depending on how much it costs

Overall I am still very happy with this car even with the minor problems here and there. I will keep this until it breaks down, or am forced to upgrade to bigger car.

Users Country Flag
    Model: Bora V5
    Engine: 2.3 with 125 KW and 220nm, manual.
    Year: 2001 (MY02)
    Rating out of 10 = 8

My first car, dark green with beige leather and sunroof. I miss her everyday!

I absolutely LOVED the sound quality of the stock stereo, I used a cassette adapter for my iPod and it was crystal clear.

Plenty of power, quite torque high up and it sounded loverly. I also loved the fast, real "tick tock" the indicators made. The Jetta's slow pattern puts me to sleep

My main issues were standard wear & tear from an eight year old car with 180,000km on it.

The only drama I had was the discolouration of the headlights, which a quick visit to ASV European fixed (at only $220 per side for genuine Hella's with fog lamps). My brake light switch stopped working for one day but never had any issues after that.

The child lock switch for the windows was always in the "locked" position but didn't actually lock the rear windows, and I couldn't activate the lock unless if I manually held the switch down. Another issue was my armrest, the clicky locky thing that kept it in an elevated position broke and I never got around to fixing it. Oh and the rear ashtray; that was alway broken since I got the car but I managed to fix it slightly.
    Last edited by maca; 15-07-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    2002 Volkswagen Bora V5 - 2007 Mazda 3 GT - 1998 Ford Contour Sport - 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T - 2013 Volkswagen Passat 130TDI - 2015 Ford Escape 1.5 - 2016 Subaru WRX - 2018 Volkswagen Golf R Wolfsburg Wagon

Model: Bora V5
    Engine: 2.3 with 125 KW and 220nm, manual
    Year: 2004
    Odometer: 118,000km
    Length of ownership: 1.5yrs
    Rating: 8/10
    Problems: 2 coil packs have died - both rev.a, suspension required replacement, centre console latch broken, Air-con flapper positioning motor faulty - causes air flow to fluctuate when not in recirc position. [UPDATE @ 180,000km/5yrs ownership] O2/Lambda Sensors sending incorrect voltages (high fuel consumption, running rough and underpower). Front end needs refreshing (control arm bushings, tie rods, etc, strut mounts), noisy starter moter (needs cleaning/recondition) leaking oil from oil pressure switch and timing chain cover.
    Gripes: Rear ride height, soft stock suspension, boot doesnt always open on second click of key fob, not much room in back for passengers (but who cares?)
    Likes: enough power to get in trouble, slick styling inside and out, comfortable leather interior, heated front seats, big boot, decent stock stereo - 6CD stacker with 8 speakers, very good braking, good safety rating, 17" Sports Alloys.
    Mods: Eibach Pro Kit Springs + Bilstein B8 Shocks, Tyrol Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit, Stage 2 ECS Front Suspension Refresk Kit (Audi TT Bushes), Toyo Proxes4, KVW100 Window Roll Up/Down Flash Load Module (Remote windows, auto window up when locked)
    Thinking of: Custom Exhaust
    Last edited by Gravey; 13-05-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    2004 V5 Bora ~ Eibach Pro + Bilstein B8 ~ Tyrol Brake Upgrade
    MY15 Golf Wagon Comfortline

Quote Originally Posted by Gravey View Post
    boot doesnt always open on second click of key fob
    hey? i cant do this! did you get a different remote/set up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast