Support VWWC

Thread: Surging and engine wanting to cut out.

Surging and engine wanting to cut out.

Hi,
    VW Golf MK4 2003, 2.0 ltr.

I have had the car in the w/shop for a week, no codes are coming up and they are having problems duplicating the symptoms.

I have decided to withdraw the car from the w/shop as I am now up to $600.00 for the work done, with no result.

They have checked everything possible which could be causing the problem, to no avail.

Recently the car has started to surge whilst driving, most of this occurs above 70klms per hr and on one occasion the engine cut out while it was stationary at the lights.

The surging is not always present it just does it when ever it wants.

During the time it surges an audible noise is heard from behind the dash, very much like a relay cutting in and out.

The w/shop feels that this is an electrical fault.

I suggested that when I pick the car up that I would replace the fuel pump relay as this seems as to where the noise is coming from.At least this a starting point. The w/shops response was that was they where going to suggest that as well.

I have read and read on this problem, with the outcome varying on what was done to repair the fault.

Does anyone have any insight into where I may be looking to fix this or at least point me in the right direction on the most common cause.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by cartandpeg; 14-06-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Disconnect the AFM and see if the symptoms go away .....

Thanks LeStig, picking car up this morning so will take her for a drive to see if it plays up then will disconnect the AFM and try it from there.

Thanks