Support VWWC

Thread: Stripped sump thread

Stripped sump thread

So when I was doing the first oil change after I got the car it turned out the sump was stripped. The bolt has a little resistance but it leaks drops of oil. It was a bit of a time crunch so I just threw it back in and figured I'd deal it with it next time.

Now its next time, any suggestions for fixing this up?

I've looked into oversize plugs, helicoil, piggyback bolts and timeserts but I'm not really sure which one would be the best and I really cant be bothered replacing the oil pan.

Users Country Flag
    Problem with both the helicoil and timeserts is you need to drill out the old thread which means you risk excess metal going back into the sump. It's only a drain plug so of the 2, a Helicoil would more than do the job.

If it were me I think I'd just bite the bullet and change the pan, good opportunity to clean it along with the oil pickup and change the seal anyways.

But.... If you really cbf, try cleaning up the old threads with a tap and dye and just throw some thread tape (Or low strength Loctite Thread Sealant) around the bolt.

Users Country Flag
    Have you got any thread tape wrap it around a few timw should do the trick

Users Country Flag
    I have a brand new sump that might suit? I bought it for my 2L mk4 SE from UK but it turned out to be the wrong one. Has the hole in the bottom for oil sensor. Just replaced my sump this weekend for the same reason, except the previous owners mechanic stripped it out and repaired it with a helicoil kit, still leaked though.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

I can sell you a helicoil kit if you want it.
    Paid $140 for it- sell for $80.
    Regards

Hey, I ended up using a piggyback, worked really well, did an oil change last week no issues, no leaks..

After I posed i had a better look and it looks like someone had already helicoiled it and the helicoil and come free causing the issue.

Thanks anyway