Thread: Drive shaft refresh

Drive shaft refresh

So my front drive shafts are due for some attention split boots and contamination. Sounds like a few joints may need to be replaced 165k on the clock.

Should I rebuild the shafts with new joints, have them serviced by a drive shaft shop or look to aftermarket replacements?

Any thoughts and knowledge on good quality after market parts and options? From my limited reading this far some of the after market stuff appears to be rubbish

Users Country Flag
    What's your vehicle beer?

Bora 4mo. Have been quoted some pretty cheap prices for exchange units. Are they worth it though?

Users Country Flag

I've rebuilt and replaced CV's in the past. If you've got the time and can find the bits, go the rebuild. I've had mixed experience with aftermarket driveshafts / CV's. Bought a set off eBay, they we junk and flogged out in about 18mths (30,000kms). Bought another set from a place in Campsie (sorry can't remember the name) and they lasted some years up until I sold the car.

If it helps search Audi S3 8L and / or Golf R32 driveshafts, 99% sure they're the same and being a more common vehicle than our 4mo's you may have better luck finding what you're after.
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch