Support VWWC

Thread: Stereo Removal 2000 model

Users Country Flag

Stereo Removal 2000 model

Hi All,

My daughter has tried to remove the stereo from her Mk4 using coat hangar wire, rather than the u-shaped removal tools (which i did suggest she buy on line and wait a week or two for, but yep). Will I need to take the kickpanels off the centre console to get to the sides of the radio, or is there another way to remove?

If there is already a thread on this, pls point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Spokebloke.

Users Country Flag
    I did this recently in my Bora, I simply used an old credit card cut to shape. Worked a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhlutE6zTss
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The stereo in this instance has four small, round holes. The removal tool is a u-shaped piece of wire with a small tang on each end. But because the son has shoved coat hangar wire into the holes, he's busted the mechanism. Now that I've got the right tools, they won't work. I'm just going to have to pull the panels and the centre console out to get to the back of the stereo.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spokebloke View Post
    The stereo in this instance has four small, round holes. The removal tool is a u-shaped piece of wire with a small tang on each end. But because the son has shoved coat hangar wire into the holes, he's busted the mechanism. Now that I've got the right tools, they won't work. I'm just going to have to pull the panels and the centre console out to get to the back of the stereo.
    Last time we removed one from a mk4 with the 4 holes, we used an old wiper blades metal surrounding, they're really strong and the perfect size to fit in the 4 holes. Just put them in all for so it goes in the tab things and then you might need a screw driver to gently pry the side of it to make it pop out a bit so you can get a hold of it.