Support VWWC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: South Coast Bora

Users Country Flag

Shades of Ford Sierra Cosworth RS 500 rally car.

I assume they do not impede airflow through the grill too much?

Users Country Flag
    any reason you didn't opt for a LED light bar? 20" 2 or even 3 row would have pounded out the light and used less power and you get spread and spot and less "ugly" on the front lol probably less chance of smashing them with a rock too

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ugly ??

I'm probably older than most ..... i tend to stick with brands that I've used over the years... Motalita, Cibie, Autosol, Bilstein etc.....
    HID is very energy efficient and with 9 inch reflector the output is rather special.... I've been in a 4wd with 60cm Baja LED light bar... brilliant output and spread, distance was ok... but not in the same league... completely subjective of course !!

Users Country Flag
    what do you do with the crispy critters in the beam? haha

Ive had a few questions re mounting these on a Bora

The mount is simply an alloy number plate mount available at any auto parts store.

I drilled out the original number plate mounting points to take bolts and washers. The front was off to do this .... And the metal inner bar actually sits below this area so it's only the plastic/moulded bar cover that is supporting the bracket/lights. That doesn't sound like much but the bracket has a good surface area and is braced internally so when mounted back up the lights are very secure and the bar cover isn't under any stress. I mounted the ballasts to the steel inner bar and ran all the wiring back it the rear of the passenger headlight/battery area.
    To secure the lights completely and take all movement away I use stainless jubilee hose clamps cut and flattened out attached to the top of the light body and in this case passing through the meshed part of the grill to the composite radiator support panel behind - I'll add a photo to show this - this stabilises the lamp and allows for adjustment as well !!
    The negative wiring is direct to battery as there is no earth at the lamp and the ballasts are powered from a relay mounted next to battery so short wiring runs. The trigger wire for high beam is taken from headlight via a scotch lock ( the only time I'd use them )
    i haven't put a switch in so the lights are on when high beam is used. If I was using a switch I'd run the earth wire for the relay back into the cabin through a switch and then to ground so the relay wouldn't kick in until the switch was closed.

one to each light and they are rock solid.... No holes in anything visible so fully reversible

Users Country Flag
    186 doesn't seem to be on the registry.

Mk IV .:R32 Owners Registry
    White Scirocco R
    White MK3 Golf 2dr
    White Caddy (Work Van)

Users Country Flag
    nice work!
    nothing worse than bouncy lights

Ok... As the engine in my Bora is now broken I've purchased a complete running and regoed 4 Motion to either replace the complete car with the transfer of parts or as a donor vehicle and just remove the engine....
    so i have a complete car less engine to part out.
    Near PERFECT black leather interior includes wheel and air bag. Brakes, suspension - all stock but excellent condition, panels, lights switches, haldex, exhaust etc..
    As the car is still on the road i can confirm the condition of all the parts... Its rattle free, everything works - A/C, heater, its never been pulled apart so its really tight.... cloth areas of trim are grubby.. might clean up...
    If anyone on this site is after anything please PM me and ill confirm availabilty, price and supply pics as requested....

South Coast Bora will live again....

Bora reborn ......
    Nearly finished the 2nd edition of South Coast Bora. All the suspension, brakes, Interior and Audio from the original all black 2001 have now been transferred into the 2002 Black Magic chassis ....
    Ive fitted HID headlamps and removed the super oscars for the time being....
    All of the original Oettinger bits have been resprayed in the new colour and apart from the skirts are now fitted.
    From ECS there's a cold air intake and the Magnaflow cat back exhaust ....
    Kicker Sub and amp in boot...
    New window tint being fitted this week and thats about all I've got planned for this car....

Last edited by LeStig; 30-11-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Users Country Flag

very nice !!

Do we get a video fly by?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast