Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrieve the key secret code in VAG

Users Country Flag

Retrieve the key secret code in VAG

Hey Guys,
    Was just wondering if there's any way to retrieve the secret code of my VW Bora.
    I read on Ross tech website that unless you have the 4-digit code (for models prior to 2002) there's no way to retrieve the code.

here :
    How do I obtain an SKC for Immobilizer and Key-Matching functions?
    We do not know of any way to retrieve an SKC for VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda vehicles. Prior to 2002, some vehicles were delivered with a scratch-off panel on a plastic tag that contained the 4 digit PIN code. Starting in 2002, dealerships implemented the WIN2 system to provide SKC's to their technicians and customers. Starting April 1, 2005, VW/Audi dealerships switched to the new GEKO system, whereby their factory scan tools dial up the factory while connected to a car. Under this system, the technician no longer sees the SKC at all and you will need to bring your vehicle into the dealer to have Immobilizer work performed. VCDS does not interact with the GEKO system. Check out our Immobilizer Page for more information and procedures.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.php

Users Country Flag
    Geko was hit-and-miss on older cars.

Quite often we'd have to ring VW Australia's tech support (dealer access only), and have them retrieve it for us.

You can try the VAG Tacho software, but if you're only doing it the one time, pay the money and get the dealership to sort it out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    What do you need SKC for exactly?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Geko was hit-and-miss on older cars.

Quite often we'd have to ring VW Australia's tech support (dealer access only), and have them retrieve it for us.

You can try the VAG Tacho software, but if you're only doing it the one time, pay the money and get the dealership to sort it out.
    Thanks for the response, any idea if I can program a new key with VAG Tacho if I don't have a working key?
    Does it require a transponder programmer device in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    What do you need SKC for exactly?
    Well, without SKC you won't be able to activate the immobilizer and program a new key.
    The funny thing is I don't have a working key right now! I broke the transponder chip while trying to change the Kit.

It seems the process is a little bit more complicated when you don't have any working key in hand, that's why everywhere I call quote more than their usual price.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by arixooo View Post
    Well, without SKC you won't be able to activate the immobilizer and program a new key.
    The funny thing is I don't have a working key right now! I broke the transponder chip while trying to change the Kit.

It seems the process is a little bit more complicated when you don't have any working key in hand, that's why everywhere I call quote more than their usual price.
    Ahh.... that explains all the threads! Sorry I must have missed the bit where you said you were trying program a new key.

I'm out on this one

Last time I had a similar problem was at work. We bought a GTI that was stolen recovered (no key).
    Ordered a aftermarket key with transponder chip, was about $100 landed from memory but our usual guy couldn't program it.

The car had to be towed to VW along with the key. They programmed for $350 + GST. That was some many years ago though
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    Ahh.... that explains all the threads! Sorry I must have missed the bit where you said you were trying program a new key.

I'm out on this one

Last time I had a similar problem was at work. We bought a GTI that was stolen recovered (no key).
    Ordered a aftermarket key with transponder chip, was about $100 landed from memory but our usual guy couldn't program it.

The car had to be towed to VW along with the key. They programmed for $350 + GST. That was some many years ago though
    Found an ad in Gumtree, he just came by and fixed it for $150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Not sure if this will help you with SKC:

YouTube

Maybe give it a try and report back.

I've always programmed the transponder using the key in door method - might be helpful, might not ...

Remote control Key Fob

1. Switch Ignition On and leave the key in the ignition
    2. Lock the vehicle by using a manual key from driver’s door
    3. Using he remote fob, press the unlock button – this should make the horn sound once
    4. Wait for 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.
    5. Switch ignition off
    6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation
    7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes
    8. The ignition must be switched off between programming each remote control

Remote control erasing1997 or later

1. Switch ignition on and leave the key in the ignition
    2. Lock the vehicle by using a manual key from driver’s door
    3. Press he remote control lock button 5 times within 1 second intervals. The horn should sound or the indicators flash
    4. After 6 seconds press the unlock button once to activate memory erase
    5. Switch ignition off

Remote control Synchronisation

1. Open the car using the driver’s door
    2. Press the remote control unlock button
    3. Put the key into the ignition and switch it on
    4. Switch the ignition off and remove the key
    5. Press a button on the remote control

Last edited by RolfGolf; 06-04-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RolfGolf View Post
    Not sure if this will help you:

YouTube

Maybe give it a try and report back.
    Hi Rolf,
    That method works only if you have a working key, The guy who fixed it used a transponder programmer
    He didn't even need the secret key..after all I really don't understand the role of immobilisers..even without a key they can make a working key in 5 minutes and steal any car

Users Country Flag

Sorry just saw your reply arixooo - I've added the transponder method I've always used ... when I've purchased transponders off eBay I've always used the code on the inner sleeve of the transponder (when you pull it apart) to purchase one with the correct frequency, then I've just used the method above to program it.
    Last edited by RolfGolf; 06-04-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast