Thread: Coolant leak over gearbox

Coolant leak over gearbox

Hi fellas. I've suddenly been losing coolant over the last couple of days.
    Doing some research it seems like it could be the coolant sensor housing and o-ring.
    Anyone had any issues like this before? Hopefully vw don't ream me for a replacement part.
    Platinum Grey mkV Jetta turbo, Viezu motorsport map, GT-CX 18", lowering to come

Users Country Flag
    It's a common place for the coolant leak. The housing is made of plastic and needs to be replaced as well, since it likes to deform. Jmac will give you a fair price. View Profile: Jmac - VWWatercooled Australia

Users Country Flag
    Hi, My 1.6 had an issue with the coolant sensor housing leaking. It was plastic and was just falling apart. Jmac supplied the replacement part and I fitted it...problem solved.
    2010 90TSI Manual / Comfort Pack / United Grey
    RICE - Leave the useless wings to the Penguins...

Quite a common fault [plastic breaks down/seal leaks].

Good how-to here: VWVortex.com - DIY: Replacing driver side coolant flange on a MKIV Jetta 8v 2.o…

1.8T, 1.6, etc all very similar. Same issue.

Users Country Flag
    Changed that pipe on my A4 and S3 in the last 6 months. 10 years seems to be long enough. For DIY I got one from HSY, I was in Adelaide at the time and it was under $25!! Get some fresh antifreeze too.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by audi-tone View Post
    Hi fellas. I've suddenly been losing coolant over the last couple of days.
    Doing some research it seems like it could be the coolant sensor housing and o-ring.
    Anyone had any issues like this before? Hopefully vw don't ream me for a replacement part.

Thanks fellas. Seems its fixed for the moment (replaced the housing and sensor o ring). Only time will tell I suppose. See what happens in the next few days.
    Platinum Grey mkV Jetta turbo, Viezu motorsport map, GT-CX 18", lowering to come

We had the same thing happen last year.
    Only when we took it to our mechanic he said it was a head gasket!!!!
    I wasn't convinced so I took it to 'Auto Leaders' who tested the head gasket, found it was ok, pressurised the coolant system and found the little plastic part at the back of the motor.

Phew!

Users Country Flag
    VW do not know how to make things from plastic. Everything plastic part on a VW is prone to failure. Water pump, window regs, master cylinder, coolant sensor housing, window switches etc all the way to peeling soft touch plastic have all failed on my car.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    VW do not know how to make things from plastic. Everything plastic part on a VW is prone to failure. Water pump, window regs, master cylinder, coolant sensor housing, window switches etc all the way to peeling soft touch plastic have all failed on my car.
    I'd agree with this ...

water pump - yes, replaced;
    window regulator clips - yes, just done (though 10 years for plastic under that kind of pressure is pretty good - though obviously metal is a better choice for that part. What were the VW engineers smoking?);
    master cylinder - no, touch wood;
    coolant sensor housing - maybe, might explain the intermittent warning light on my dash;
    window switches - yes, replaced;
    soft touch plastic - yes, peeling in all directions.

Pretty much epic fail with plastic for the mk4.