Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)

Users Country Flag

Wink Punched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)

Hi all!
    a bit of mild drama for you!
    I was driving with my friend on some gravel roads, playing with some flicks and so on, I hope you understand. unfortunately i missed a rock which made quite a bang. It wasn't until I was driving back down a logging track (which is how I get to the road I was using) that I got a oil light and a 'STOP' message.
    So I stopped, and checked. yes, I had in fact developed quite a leak...
    Luckily I had one and a bit litres of oil in my boot which topped me up enough to get to a petrol station. where I bought 5l of some (less than satisfactory) oil.
    so obviously i limped back home, topping up the oil every 10 minutes... made it home into the driveway, oil still pissing out and i didn't throw any lights luckily i think i stayed on top of it. however now I have a problem...

Punched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-oil-leak-jpg

Im just stoked it is only as bad as it is, y'know?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Punched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-image16_1-jpgPunched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-image18-jpg
    theres a before shot for you

I have found an Audi A4 1.8t and im fairly sure its an AGU at the wreckers!
    Ill let you know how I go getting the new pan, (any other parts I should look at snapping up while i'm there?)

Jolly's U Pull It - Audi A4 95 - 02
    Punched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-v770602_300-jpg
    Last edited by Fatty; 06-01-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Link

ok update:
    I removed the sump, the hole was small, 2 cracks in an l shape, and a dent.
    I hammered the damaged area flat which sealed the hole, and then welded the area from both sides. will grind flat and refit tomorrow morning!
    Punched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-15877975_701762883331573_518380854_o-jpgPunched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-15877789_701762913331570_433141322_o-jpgPunched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-15934019_701762756664919_469015695_o-jpg the terrible quality weld makes it seem like a big crack and like i ****ed it but its a solid weld, will just grind flat tomorrow and ill give u an update and some stuff on putting it back i guess

Users Country Flag
    Nice result. it looked small damage going by your photos and that you could top up and drive.
    Take the time now to clean the oil pickup while you are there.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

yeah it had bits of an old oil dipstick boot that had perished in there :O!

Wouldn't grind the welds too flat. The alloy sump material is rubbish so I'd leave as much weld as possible there

thanks dylan, I actually discovered this too late, the weld was just on the surface so when i got down closer to the aluminium it just lost its strenth however i didnt grind the inside weld at all, and there where no loose bits.

I just used this super tough black sealant stuff all over the outside area of the crack, it formed this tough rubbery patch. i cant remember the brand, I got it from a mate of mine.

Punched a hole in my oil pan! (1.8t AGU Golf)-15943086_702345479939980_1415105786_o-jpgjust a quick pick of the fix. Its back on my car now, but im missing a bolt so im just gunna nip to the wreckers tomorrow and pick up a freshie before i refill the oil. Im using 5w-40 fully synthetic but In this heat would it be better to go to 5W-30?
    anyway Ive replaced the oil filter and cleaned the uptake.

Ive used that gasket paste stuff to make a new gasket, Im a little nervous about how that will go but i think it will be ok, I put it on in a way which i assume wont squeeze out on the inside.
    has anyone got any tips for the gasket? Ill have one ast chance to change anything tomorrow morning before i refill the oil.

after speaking to some guys on facebook I think next time if anything like this happens, I will stop and call a tow.

My next project (after a 2.5" DP) will be fabricating a skid plate...

EDIT:
    I still might take the sump off the 1.8t A4 thats at the wreckers while im there? is that selfish... ?
    Last edited by Fatty; 08-01-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Users Country Flag

The A4 sump doesn't fit, the motor isnt transverse so save your money.

You have the oil the wrong way round. The 5/40 would be better for the heat, staying thicker at higher temps, but still thin from cold starts.

There isnt a gasket, sump to engine. VW use sealant, just the tiniest amount though. Both surfaces are machined flat. a 2mm bead would be plenty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast