Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted for minor problems with Bora V6

Help wanted for minor problems with Bora V6

Hi,

Recently bought a second hand 2003 V6 4motion - awesome car, as I posted on the Newbie site. There are a couple of questions which I'd be very grateful for help in answering:

1. Fuel gauge does not go beyond 3/4 even though I am sure it is full. Not a major issue, but wondering whether anyone else has had this problem. I saw another posting which recommended to short the battery leads (not the battery of course) which cured a similar though not identical problem. Do you think that would help this one? If I do this does the radio need recoding (no codes for it were provided)?
    2. Car came with only one key, and no 'code tag' as per the instruction book. VW dealer has quoted $444 for new key plus $88 for recoding - wouldn't think there is any way around this, but would be interested in any potential alternatives.
    3. Headlights on low beam seem very poor in their road coverage - light does not go very far in front of the car. Adjusting them using the adjustment 'wheel' does not lift them sufficiently. Is there a manual adjustment somewhere? High beam also seems a little 'unfocused' though not too bad.
    4. Leather boot for the gear lever is very worn. I have seen sites that offer a replacement gear lever and boot, but nothing which just offers the boot by itself. I am thinking that maybe an upholstery guru could be able to replace it, or is there another alternative?
    5. Driver's door squeaks - dealer said to rub some silicone on it, which I have done, but it still squeaks. Again it's not a major issue but would be nice to cure.

My only regret is that I didn't know about the Bora sooner - it is certainly a dream to drive, and I love the 'sleeper' appearance too.

Thanks for any help which you folk can provide.

Users Country Flag
    On the headlights - when you open the bonnet and look at the top of the headlight assembly, there is an adjustment available there (white(ish) plastic screw which turns a white plastic geared wheel). If you put the car on a level surface in front of a wall, you should be able to adjust the headlights manually to the right height.

On the gear boot - I think I've seen a replacement boot+surround somewhere, but can't find it at the moment (mine is worn too). If I find the link again, I'll flick it on.

Keys are a ripoff. I think there's a thread in the Skoda section here on finding a replacement for less than the stealer wants, it's worth reading and then investigating if you can do the same thing.

Totally agree with you on the Bora - I love mine, especially the sleeper aspect (which I added to by removing the V6 4Motion badges from the back). Once I fix the suspension (nothing fancy, Koni FSD kit is planned at this stage, the original suspension has done its time after 90,000km) and ensure the brakes are up to spec (dear God the R32 brakes are huge... ), I'll be very happy.
    Nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Bay_Bora View Post
    Hi,

Recently bought a second hand 2003 V6 4motion - awesome car, as I posted on the Newbie site. There are a couple of questions which I'd be very grateful for help in answering:

1. Fuel gauge does not go beyond 3/4 even though I am sure it is full. Not a major issue, but wondering whether anyone else has had this problem. I saw another posting which recommended to short the battery leads (not the battery of course) which cured a similar though not identical problem. Do you think that would help this one? If I do this does the radio need recoding (no codes for it were provided)?
    2. Car came with only one key, and no 'code tag' as per the instruction book. VW dealer has quoted $444 for new key plus $88 for recoding - wouldn't think there is any way around this, but would be interested in any potential alternatives.
    3. Headlights on low beam seem very poor in their road coverage - light does not go very far in front of the car. Adjusting them using the adjustment 'wheel' does not lift them sufficiently. Is there a manual adjustment somewhere? High beam also seems a little 'unfocused' though not too bad.
    4. Leather boot for the gear lever is very worn. I have seen sites that offer a replacement gear lever and boot, but nothing which just offers the boot by itself. I am thinking that maybe an upholstery guru could be able to replace it, or is there another alternative?
    5. Driver's door squeaks - dealer said to rub some silicone on it, which I have done, but it still squeaks. Again it's not a major issue but would be nice to cure.

My only regret is that I didn't know about the Bora sooner - it is certainly a dream to drive, and I love the 'sleeper' appearance too.

Thanks for any help which you folk can provide.

All your qn's can be answered....:

1) All that touching your battery leads does is completely drain the electrical system of current quicker, hence resetting your ECU and on-board electrics. Will this fix your fuel guage? Maybe. Will you need the radio code? DEFINATELY. If you don't have the code, you MIGHT be able to get it through your local VW stealer, so long as you can prove you legally own the car (had this problem with a commodore I had). They will probably charge you for it also....

2) That is a joke. $444 PLUS $88 PLUS GST undoubtedly???? You should be able to find it much cheaper....Do you have the key operated remote central locking or the Comfort pack, with the half-a-kidney shaped remote?

3) Heaadlight adjustment screws are pretty obvious in the engine bay, the passenger one is accessed through the 2 holes on top of the air intake pipe above the light.

4) Leather boot by itself is available through ebay for approx AUD$20-25 delivered from the UK, this does not include the shif lever, just the boot.

5) There are a few squeeky places in the doors. This is from past experience in my golf. 1st, try some 303 Aerospace protectant on the door seals to lubricate and replenish them. If that fails, pull of the door card and rub some high temp grease on the plastic snap lugs that hold the door card to the metal inner of the door. Again, if that fails, I found my squeeky door was because of the top lip that the inner window seal at the top of the door card sits on was rubbing. Take the door card off (probably good idea to do this and the snaps) and run a thin bead of grease along the lip, the smear it all over the lip and refit the door card. Hopefully this helps

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

I think the stock brakes are pretty good already My tyres lock up a lot on RE001's so there is more than enough power there and there isn't much fade.

But having said that, I would love the upgrade to 32's as well

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    On the headlights - when you open the bonnet and look at the top of the headlight assembly, there is an adjustment available
    there (white(ish) plastic screw which turns a white plastic geared wheel). If you put the car on a level surface in front of a wall, you should be able to adjust the headlights manually to the right height.

On the gear boot - I think I've seen a replacement boot+surround somewhere, but can't find it at the moment (mine is worn too). If I find the link again, I'll flick it on.

Keys are a ripoff. I think there's a thread in the Skoda section here on finding a replacement for less than the stealer wants, it's worth reading and then investigating if you can do the same thing.

Totally agree with you on the Bora - I love mine, especially the sleeper aspect (which I added to by removing the V6 4Motion badges from the back). Once I fix the suspension (nothing fancy, Koni FSD kit is planned at this stage, the original suspension has done its time after 90,000km) and ensure the brakes are up to spec (dear God the R32 brakes are huge... ), I'll be very happy.
    Audi B4 80 Q V6 '94 Race Car !! KEGGED
    Audi B4 80 V6 Avant '94 Only one in the country that I know of !!! KEGGED
    Subaru Forester XT '06 Genome Exhaust/Car-PC/Boost Gauge/Oettingers !
    --VW Bora V6 4mo '01 Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Bay_Bora View Post
    Hi,

My Bora did exactly the same thing just over christmas, thought it was due to bottoming out on driveway, but on the next fill the gauge worked normally (full) and has done so since.

Could be the fuel sender playing up, leave it and it might fix itself.
    '03 Bora V6 4motion ~ CC Flash ~ Neuspeed F&R ARB ~ .:R optioned - Bilsteins,Springs,shifter,steering ~ Tyrol Brake kit ~ EVOMS CAI

Thanks for suggestions

Hi All,

Many thanks for all those suggestions. 'Gavs' the key is the remote control one, with the key flicking out when the button is pushed. I will follow all your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

I understand that coding all sorts of things really protects against theft etc, but I have had so many problems over the years with cars where the previous owner has not passed on the radio codes / key codes etc. Not sure what the solution is, but surely there has to be one!

Anyway - many thanks again.

(With all the rain we have been having in Hervey Bay I have been testing the handling in the wet - very impressive!)

Users Country Flag
    I can only make a suggestion regarding the headlights. Are they perfectly clear or look somewhat cloudy and yellow? If cloudy, that'll be the main reason why they're no good. Get some cutting compound, then a polish, then a hard wax sealant - should clear it up.

Hi,

No the headlights are nice and clear. Will try the adjustment over the weekend and see how it goes.

I tracked down the site for the boot for the gear shifter - www.tuning-shop.co.uk The fellow who answered my queries, Greg, was absolutely excellent - I'm very happy to give him a plug here. Prompt, pleasant and efficient. I have ordered the part and the cost was AUD 15 plus postage.

Cheers,

Users Country Flag
    Also a good one for Golf/Bora bits n pieces is GTI Imports. Got R32 floormats from them - speedy service.

Thanks - will check them out. I found the headlight adjustment, and have made some changes. Will need to try them out tonight. Had a strange problem with the central locking system. Passenger door lock didn't lock with the rest, and when manually closed, wouldn't then open with the rest. Tried a small amount of WD40 down the side (in case it made a mark on the door card). I gather that the door card just pulls off? Anyway the problem seems to have gone away again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast