Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil pressure gauge problem >.<

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

im hoping its something small, a faulty sensor or somthing because right now im so tight for money and my brother just broke my back window so thats gona set me back a good 400$ or so :'(

lifes just not going well.

ok so im not a mechanic so im not very sure buttt.... my oil pressure guage says that when i idle my oil psi is just under 20, which im pretty sure isnt a good thing, but when i drive (touch the pedal) it picks up above 40 - 60...

i was told if its above 40 then there shouldnt be any problems..

has anybody got any ideas coz right now i have 0$ cashish and cant afford a mechanic.

thanks guys

Users Country Flag
    You have an oil pressure gauge plumbed in to the engine that reads 20PSI at tickover and 40-60 with the engine in use.

1.8BAR is just under 30 PSI which is what you need to keep the buzzer off at 2500 revs, assuming like I said before that VW haven't chnaged their thinking on oil pressure warnings.

So check the pressure when the buzzer comes on. Is it above or before 30PSI?

If it's above, you probably need a new pressure switch, if it's below then the oil system is at fault I'd say.

Gavin

yeh ill definitely check it out and get back to you but is my car safe to drive though, thats my main concern?

Users Country Flag
    I'd say if you are getting 60 PSI then it is. It is normal for the pressure to drop at idle and as long as it's not tappety then drive away.

Gavin

ok so just an update on the car. i took a closer look, the warning lamp comes on at 42psi, the car idles at 22psi and when im driving hard it stays above 60psi...

im so confused

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12