Thread: New Timing belt Noise

New Timing belt Noise

HI,

Apologies if this has been posted before, I had a bit of a look in search but nothing jumped out at me

Car, VW Golf 2003 mk4 2.0 ltr.

Picked up car tonight after having timing belt, water pump,tensioners/ seals done, 215000 klms.

Noticed a very audible noise,whiring noise, at first it sounded like a whine from the trans, took car back and mechanic says it is timing belt noise and give it a week to see if it wears in so to speak. If not he will adjust tensioners.

Any thoughts please or anyone had a similar noise after belt change.

Thank you.

whoa!
    There should be no noise, the belt does not need to wear in at all. I would be extremely skeptical of your mechanic after hearing that excuse.

The belt tensioner is 'semi' automatic. I say semi because its not 'adjustable' like the old school solid eccentric tensioners, but it DOES have to be set correctly when installed. There is a specific procedure for adjusting the new tensioner which can vary depending on the specific OEM for the tensioner - and the tensioner will usually come with a little scrap of paper with instructions on how to use it.

All of these semi automatic tensioners work to attempt to provide the same amount of belt tension throughout the life of the belt and the tensioner (unlike in the old days where the manual tensioner stayed in the same place while the belt stretched, meaning the belt got slack over time).

In my experience, they are not foolproof, you can set them incorrectly, and I would make every effort to have your issue addressed ASAP. Worst case, your timing belt will fail and cause catastrophic engine damage.

Now, if the belt tension has been set correctly, then I would be thinking that the belt is rubbing somewhere. Again, I would be extremely weary of a mechanic that gives you back your car with a rubbing belt..... could be something as little as the cover fouling on the belt because its been fitted incorrectly, or it could be more serious... again I would not be waiting and seeing what happens.

You just dont 'wait and see' when its your timing belt.
    Last edited by gldgti; 18-05-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like it's too tight.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks guys, I am going to take the timing cover off in the morning for a quick look, then take it back to the mechanic.