Support VWWC

Thread: At my wits end - gear lever Mk4

Users Country Flag

At my wits end - gear lever Mk4

Can anybody help? - Ive got a Golf Mk4 1600SR - Where the gear lever goes through the bottom of the car it then connects to a stiff metal rod that then goes forward to all the gear linkages. Now then...back to the underneath part, as the gear lever comes out of the bottom of the car (directly under the gear shift knob) where it connects to that stiff rod there is bolt which connects it to the stiff rod and what looks like the remains of a bush of some sort?? does anyone know what that bush looks like or what its called? because theres nothing left of it just dust Ive no idea, and when i search gear lever bushes i get millions of pictures of hundreds of different bushes.

Users Country Flag
    Assuming it's a 5 speed, have a look at the dieselgeek website. He has some good videos of the shift mechanism out of the car and you can see the different bushings you might need.
    Greg
    2002 New Beetle Turbo

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks 07 - will do

Users Country Flag
    Dieselgeek is located in the USA and they did not receive the DUU gearbox so getting the bushings will be hard . Some bushes you have to buy various parts of the levers , eg :

Shifter Assembly - Euro Revolution
    Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Bug_racer

Users Country Flag

If you're desperate then get some half decent electrical tape and wrap it very tightly to replace the bushing.

Definitely wouldn't recommend doing that long term but in an emergency it will work.