Support VWWC

Thread: MKIV stalling/back fire/now immobilized

MKIV stalling/back fire/now immobilized

G'day....got my car recently serviced, ever since service, the car has back fired - intermittantly mostly when car is first started for the day then appears to be all ok.

On accelaration losing power - intermittantly only - then power comes back (after double clutching/accelarating) - this occurs when say when stopping at lights/intersection when you then take off with backfire/low revs/and no real response with accelarater pedal down all the way down.

More recently it now stalls for eg going around a corner or coming up to an intersection car just dies - car restared fine.

Now I have an immobilizer/air bag synbol coming up on dash lamps - and car won't start at all -

I will be taking the car back to the mechanic - so I just want to know if anyone has any ideas what might be causing this problem or if its something more problematic - any ideas would great

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    If you have lights on the dash then there must be a fault code (or two) logged in the ECU. THe best is to get the mech to scan it
    1991 BMW 318is RED E30

Users Country Flag
    If i can guess, i'd say it might be an elec fault with either battery or alternator.

If alternator, get the mech to check the voltage regulator on the alternator first as it can fail before the alt is due for replacement and it will cost half as much.
    MY02 Bora V6 4Mo|Matte Black plastidip|VTDA|R32 Exhaust|R32 dampers and springs|TT pedals|R32 steering wheel|17" 8L S3 rims|R32 sways|Blue Haldex|EBC reds

check to see if your battery terminals are tighten properly.i had a bettery replaced recently and the goose put in the wrong battery (terminal size was small)
    on my way home dash lit up like it was xmas ran like ****.
    I put in a supplement and all is fine.
    Other than that get it scanned and they could find the fault

Thanks for the responses, - air meter throttle not connected/new battery - all is good now