Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK4 GTI Intake/Airbox

MK4 GTI Intake/Airbox

Hey guys,

I am looking at upgrading the intake setup on my missos GTI just for some extra noise and air flow but my question is what are these plugs for on the airbox? What do people do with them once they go a straight pipe to a pod filter, are they important or can they be disconnected with no issues?

MK4 GTI Intake/Airbox-airbox-gti-jpg

AFAIK they are simply placed there to cool it down with the flow going over it.

See,
    air box sensor gti 20vt - MkIV (Mk4) Golf & Bora - uk-mkivs

2001 Turbo! 4mo Bora 'Boring' | Carbinaro CAI | Fixing broken stuff | Sorting the Turbo Goodness! | BBS Lm's 18x8.5 | KW V2's | 4 pot Brembo's

That's the ignition control module / ignition amplifier, they're there because apprently it gets pretty hot, and there's a heatsink on the inside of the airbox for it, so the intake air cools it down. Apparently you can relocate it into the engine bay but most people advise you put a bigger heatsink on then.
    If you cook it you'll have to replace it $$$ or get a kit and covert it to newer coil packs, usually the 2.0t packs, also $$$.
    You can't unplug it because it's a direct part of the ignition, no spark without it.
    I've seen some CAI's modified to put it back inside the piping, bit of work but maybe the safest option

With my intake setup, I have a metal box which I made a hole in to sit the icm in.

Alright, I didn't take a good enough look at it, so it has nothing to do with airflow or anything VW have just mounted it there for airflow?
    So i can relocate it elsewhere if removing the airbox.

What do most people do when upgrading there intake?

I'll take a photo of mine for you shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Shmulzie View Post
    I'll take a photo of mine for you shortly
    Thanks man!

for some reason it doesnt give me a option to post photos, if your are keen then pm me your number and i just msg u it

Users Country Flag
    MK4 GTI Intake/Airbox-img_0785-jpgMK4 GTI Intake/Airbox-img_0785-jpg

Awesome fellas
    Any issues getting just a MAF adapter and putting a pod filter straight on it without the piping?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast