Support VWWC

Thread: Mk4 GTI going forward when in reverse gear.

Users Country Flag

Mk4 GTI going forward when in reverse gear.

Hi Folks,

I need a little help please. My 2001 Mk4 Gti Golf has been getting harder and harder to get into reverse gear and often when the stick is in reverse gear position the car is actually in a forward gear, 1st I think.

When I push the stick down and to the left it operates as normal but then when I push the stick up into reverse I get a little bit more resistance than I normally would and the car will be in a forward gear instead of reverse gear.

Any ideas or a place to start would be great. A bit of googling suggests adjusting gear linkages and I've found a youtube video I think I can follow. Is this the best first action to take?

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, it does sound like something at the gearbox end of the shift cables is askew.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Yeah, it does sound like something at the gearbox end of the shift cables is askew.
    https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...r%20adjustment

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Ok cool, thanks for the replies. I'll have to give that a go saturday.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey guys,
    I tried adjusting the shifter cables like in the video and I've managed to break one of the plastic shifter cable ends. The black plastic bit with the spring that holds onto the shifter cable. The lower one. And now I cant select any gears.

I cant see how to remove the shifter cable end. Does anyone have any guides or tips for removing and replacing one of these?? Keeping in mind Im a bit of a dunce.

Thanks.

Similar thing happened to my GTI a few years ago, Reverse position was still only selecting 1st. I had the gearbox serviced by the mechanics I was using at the time (since closed & retired) as I had no idea how or what to do myself. All worked fine & then about 6 weeks later it poo'd itself as 5th at the opposite end sheered off inside the housing, so I ended up getting another box off a wreck :/
    '03 BMP MkIV Golf GTI | Oettinger tune | K04 | 18" OZ
    '04 BMP MkIV R32 #144
    search getnew
    ozaudi | ozvolks | opelaus | ecca