Support VWWC

Thread: Leaking sun roof and oil fiter light

Leaking sun roof and oil fiter light

Hi,
    Mk4 1.6 2001 build.
    Sun roof leaks and I think it is related to the drains being blocked. Just moved to Brisbane and there is a bit more rain here than Adelaide. Any tips on clearing the drains? Do I need to pull ut the roof lining - if so how?
    Also on the drive up here the engine oil light alarm and dash light came on. Checked oil level and all ok so kept going- 2000 km later still going but light comes on after about 30 mins driving. Any thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    Open the front doors and near the door hinges you should see the sunroof drain nipples. Sometimes they need a little massage to loose up any blockage. They open up a little more if you give them a squeeze or attach a peg to them.

Then open the sunroof and you should have 4 drain holes, 2 front, 2 rear. the front ones lead to the pillars at the front doors. The rear ones I believe run towards the back behind the rear bar cover. Try flushing some warm water down them first and you should see that trinkle out (either front or rear) of the nipples.

If a flush doesn't work you can try feeding grass trimmer cord into the drain holes. Do NOT use thick gauge trimmer cord because it can cause the drain pipes to disconnect from the drain holes in the sunroof. The cord should loosen and blockage and follow up with more flushes.

The guys at O'Briens Windscreens told me piano wire also works very well but who the hell has that floating around at home
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Users Country Flag
    They sunroof drain pipes can also leak wherever they have a joint. In that case they will need to be reglued.

The oil pressure light could be the sensor which is usually found on the oil filter housing. We had one fail on out Vento years ago. It started leaking whilst driving back to Queensland from Sydney. I noticed a typical oil smouldering smell while we were driving. We stopped at the MacDonalds in Tamworth for lunch and I popped the bonnet. Everything under the bonnet was covered in a fine covering of oil lol. Obviously yours isn't leaking but when I replaced our sensor with a generic VW sensor from the local auto parts store (It was a Sunday of course) it gave us the warning light and a buzzer.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it