Support VWWC

Thread: Intercooler advice please.

Users Country Flag

Intercooler advice please.

Hey folks,

I've got a mk4 GTI golf and Ive had a frankenturbo kit sitting around for a couple of years that I want to put in soon.

First thing tho I want to put an intercooler on this weekend. The intercooler I bought at the same time as I got the FT kit is a CXracing 27x11x3 (21x11x3 core size) and it seems really huge.

this one -> CXRacing 27x11x3 Turbo INTERCOOLER For Mustang Fox Body 280Z 3" inlet & outlet | eBay

I've done some googling and can't really get a straight answer about whether its way too big for a frankenturbo'd 1.8 or whether the PSI drop will be made up by the much cooler air.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Users Country Flag
    oh ill be very interested to hear about this too!
    My guess is that if you get a tuneable Diverter Valve for example the forge 008 Diverter valve, you could adjust how much pressure it diverts back to the turbo and how much remains in the system?? like to preserve some pressure in the intercooler? I don't know... it boggles my mind.
    you will certainly have the cold air though.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by fishburgr View Post
    Hey folks,

I've got a mk4 GTI golf and Ive had a frankenturbo kit sitting around for a couple of years that I want to put in soon.

First thing tho I want to put an intercooler on this weekend. The intercooler I bought at the same time as I got the FT kit is a CXracing 27x11x3 (21x11x3 core size) and it seems really huge.

this one -> CXRacing 27x11x3 Turbo INTERCOOLER For Mustang Fox Body 280Z 3" inlet & outlet | eBay

I've done some googling and can't really get a straight answer about whether its way too big for a frankenturbo'd 1.8 or whether the PSI drop will be made up by the much cooler air.

Any thoughts?

thanks

It's big but don't sweat it. The FT will cope.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    hey im super keen to hear what your experience with this intercooler is, Im looking at buying an intercooler off gumtree but im not sure how to choose something suitable, being that there are none specifically 'for' my AGU.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    hey im super keen to hear what your experience with this intercooler is, Im looking at buying an intercooler off gumtree but im not sure how to choose something suitable, being that there are none specifically 'for' my AGU.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ntercooler+kit

I probably wouldn't go mad if you're keeping the std turbo. No idea what any of these are like but it will be a lot less effort to fit one over a front mount.

gavin

Users Country Flag
    that sounds true enough,
    Ill save fitting a fmic for when i get hungry again and upgrade the turbo to the s or 04.
    I have a stealthy black silicone TIP coming as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ntercooler+kit

I probably wouldn't go mad if you're keeping the std turbo. No idea what any of these are like but it will be a lot less effort to fit one over a front mount.

gavin

I wonder what one of those would be like on the Polo.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Nice, that puts my mind at ease gav. I'm going to put this bad boy on this weekend. I'll report back about PSI drop on the stock turbo for anyone else interested.

thanks guys.

Users Country Flag

Just installed a front mount, the biggest problem is fitment. With 3" in and out, you are going to be trimming your front bumper big time. To the point where it will look totally ruined. I fitted 2.25" piping over 2"inlet/outlet and that seemed to be the limit to be able to hide the install.