Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf 2.0 8V SE - POOR Fuel Consumption

Users Country Flag

Golf 2.0 8V SE - POOR Fuel Consumption

Just picked up a 2003 mk4 Golf 2.0 SE at the weekend, and noticed that the fuel consumption was sitting in the high teens per 100km. After filling the tank with 95 (straight after a minor service - oil, filter and air filter) I reset the trip computer and ran it for 100km - at 100km on the dot it was telling me 17.7l/100km. I pulled into shell and topped the tank off with 95 to make sure - 17.2l to brim the tank.

What. The. Hell. How can a 2L golf be using that much fuel (we have been driving it like nanas). I can't get my golf R to use anywhere near that!

Does any one know what the cause could be. Pouring through receipts (and there are a lot), the lamba sensor has been replaced, along with the coolant temperature sensor. It could be that one of these has failed again? No engine light.

Auto, 172k kms, FSH.
    Last edited by CraigR; 31-07-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    MAF? Also, check all the vacuum hoses, including the larger plastic one from the brake booster. These crack at the fittings.

They're not that great on fuel. Being an auto won't help, either.

My Beetle with the same motor, but manual gets about 650kms from a tank on E10.

Ex wife's old Mk4 Golf 2L manual was getting roughly the same.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

2nd MAF. Ive seen these with dirty maf make them basically blow black smoke like a diesel.
    You can clean it with carbie cleaner.

If it has an aftermarket cotton air filter its probably the cause - change it for a paper stock one if it isnt already.
    Last edited by gldgti; 29-05-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I replaced the air filter with a new ryco one (I believe these are paper type), and I cleaned the MAF while in the process. I also took the intake pipe off and cleaned the throttle body. I will check all the vacuum lines again tomorrow, I did see one hanging off that felt loose that I reattached.

It actually runs "okay", maybe a little rough sometimes, and doesn't blow any noticeable smoke.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Plugs are also worth a look, but its a bit of an arse because you have to take off the upper half of the intake manifold. Its not a big job but it still takes a little time.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Nah, you can leave it on.

Although, if you're going to pull it, do the rocker cover gasket at the same time.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I actually have plugs ready to go in but it was starting to get dark so decided not to start taking the intake manifold off. You have to take the manifold off to get to the plugs surely? There's no way to get your socket in otherwise!

Users Country Flag
    Did they check lambda probe operation at the service ?
    Small checks like that are the difference between a good mechanic and an average one .
    Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution

My wife took the car today, so I will check to see when the o2 sensor was replaced. I'm not sure if they checked it, but it definately was replaced within the last 50,000kms as I remember seeing it in the paperwork, along with a note saying "customer complaining of high fuel usage"

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CraigR View Post
    I actually have plugs ready to go in but it was starting to get dark so decided not to start taking the intake manifold off. You have to take the manifold off to get to the plugs surely? There's no way to get your socket in otherwise!
    You need a wobble extension, and some long long-nose pliers. Be very gentle with the leads. Twist the boots, before pulling them off the plugs.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast