Thread: do I have something to worry about?

do I have something to worry about?

Hi!

I was replacing the vacuum line to the break booster today on my 2002 golf gti and noticed a bit of oil in the intake and then on the intake end of the turbo at the join

I thought I might aswell have a peek around so jacked it up and had a look underneath and found much more oil at the join from (I think) the charge pipe to the hose going to the intercooler.

I pushed back the heat shielding and checked for holes in the pipe and couldnt find any, so I figure it must be coming around the the join.

lastly, It kind of looks like there's oil coming from the ?brass? fitting in the back of the picture, but im not sure what it is?? some linkage? I need to do more investigation on that one but I have highlighted it in this picture

So, is this something I need to worry about? or is this just due to the PCV / EGR dumping oil into the intake over the years? does this cause any issues over the long term? I have adding a catch can on my list of things to do, but I'm not 100% that is the issue so I just want to get a 2nd opinion. Also what is that fitting and how big of deal is it if its leaking?

full album with all pictures here questions questions - Album on Imgur

Thanks!
    jmcc

Users Country Flag
    I removed the same pipe recently and mine was void of any oil. The pipe was clean inside and out.

Btw the pcv is fairly efficient and does not 'dump' oil, just oil vapours. The pcv barely makes the pipes dirty (ok maybe the tip had a slimy feeling to it where the hockey puck fits in). After inspecting boost pipes that had done 200k , I could not see the benefits of installing a catch can being worth the money spent. It's yet another part that needs to be serviced/ drained every once in a while.

By adding a catch can you would obtain a cleaner mixture into the combustion chamber and remove annoying pipes that develop boost leaks. They also look fairly awesome with the braided hosing etc.

But silicon pipes exist for the whole pcv and this was considerably cheaper for me to do that than buy a quality catch can with all the good fittings.

I would be more concerned by oil being introduced to the boost pipes by a high milage turbo than the pcv. Btw I'm not saying this is your problem.

There is a lot of oil there on the outside of the pipe.. Strange. Sorry I don't know what the brass fitting is.
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 25-03-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Users Country Flag
    That fitting is the oil feed for the turbo.

Try and tighten it, if you can. It will be a 6mm or 8mm hex.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    That fitting is the oil feed for the turbo.

Try and tighten it, if you can. It will be a 6mm or 8mm hex.
    Thats a water pipe fellas, 8mm. change the copper washers if you disturb it.

The oil much be coming from higher up, cam cover seal?

Best plane is to clean it off with degreaser and then check again in a couple of days. So you can see where it is coming from. Not forgetting that gravity has the helm and oil won't go upwards.

So it kinda sounds like maybe two leaks? The one leaving oil on the engine, and possibly one in the turbo itself and the Diverter valve feeding it back into the intake? Is it likely for the turbo to leak oil into the intake side? Rather than the exhaust side?

Edit: Also will get at it with degreaser tomorrow, don't know what to do around the pipe though, the heat shield is pretty soaked and don't want to remove it.