Thread: Bora 4motion suspension

Bora 4motion suspension

Ok I know this has been asked alot but most of it seems quite old.

I got a quote today for a suspension refresh which came close to $2k
    now bear in mind this included top strut mounts, ball joints, control arms and swaybar links for the front end. This part seemed reasonable. 4.5 hours labour seemed about right too.

The expensive part of the quote was $300 a corner struts and suspension. This seemed excessive for Peddars struts and shocks. At this price I would consider shipping over some ECS coilovers.

My issue is I don't think I have much room to play with in terms of lowering as I have 19" rims with 225\35\19s on them. So would I still beable to achieve stock ride height with coilovers without impacting their performance?

further to this stock mk4 32s run the same struts and shockers as a 2001 bora 4motion don't they? Would there be a height drop for a stock bora? Is that true of the r32 coilovers from ECS(as it seems they don't stock bora 4motion coilovers)?

Stock r32 struts and shocks are bilstein HD correct? Bilstein Sports would lower about an 25mm?

I'll try and see if r32 gets a better quote tomorrow.

Cheers for any insight.

ps I was thinking these Solo Werks

Should be able to lower it a fair way on that tyre and wheel combo.
    You can put R32 suspension in, there is little difference in the weight. May lower the car slightly.
    from memory there was two options in the R32

Look at a aftermarket cup kit rather then coilovers if you dont want to lower it too far. Bilstein, H&R, Koni, KW, Weitec would be brands Id start looking at

Yeah I think US and Euro versions from what i've read. US had bilstein HDs and standard springs and Euro had Bilstein sports and lowered springs was about what I could make of it.

cup kit? you mean the upper strut mount right? so go a poly cup instead of the rubber ones? I haven't been seeing a height listed on the rubber ones.

main reason for coilovers seems to be that they are way cheaper than $300 a corner, didn't really want the lowering other than to play around with.

Cheers for your help dylan8
    Last edited by BoraBora; 19-04-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I had a set of Solo-Werks S1's on my 4mo from the previous owner. They felt good, not too soft or bouncy and not to harsh. They just felt sure footed with no noise. However that same vehicle had a BFI control arms, ECS adj control arms in the rear and a complete ECS refresh kit installed as well, so I don't think the S1's can take all the credit.

As for durability, no comment didn't have the car long enough. But I think SW offer 3year warranty so my guess that's how long they'll last (well at least).
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Cool thanks Beale187, good to hear.

So bit of an update.. the suspension place after getting a quote for parts via my vin ended being quoted for the wrong parts for rear shocks from their supplier, this came up after a conversation about the r32 suspension. We had a discussion and they phoned their supplier and they informed me that "nah not possible r32s are awd, so not a chance they would match" to which I informed them.. that "they are supposed to be looking for shocks for an AWD".. which was followed with an apology and then a lack of rear shocks being available except for some koni adjustables at $1500 for all 4 corners. Which isn't a bad price but out of my budget atm. So if someone is looking for shocks via your vin number, make sure you tell them to look for the AWD version. It seems to be fairly common issue, when I've been looking for other parts, so I wouldn't hold it against this place.

I stopped in VW and got the part numbers and a quite decent quote for a front end refresh, sans labour. except for the shockers, they were nearly $1k. The rest is decent though.

Anyway.
    VW-1J0413031DT is the part number for front struts, for the bora, and also for a mk4 04 r32.
    VW-1J0512011BR is the rear shocks for a bora. VW1J0512011BS is for the r32, I have seen this has been dropped for BT here for the "USA r32". The dimensions listed are 560x48x48mm for the BRs and 563x51x50mm for the BS. Which are about the only specs I can find so far, and don't mean much to me. I haven't been about to find travel or load rating etc, or even if 560mm is the length. So I'll be under the car with a tape measure on the weekend.

Anyone else able to chime in? Any 04 mk4 r32 owners able to get a rough measurement of rear shocks for me?

Users Country Flag
    Koni rears - 34.5 centre to centre closed
    44.5 centre to centre fully extended

Off R32 mk4 and have been fitted to 2002 Bora 4mo with no issues

Thanks LeStig.

Hey,

I believe i may have some second hand KW V2's rear shocks available if you want to save a bit. I believe with springs and adjusters as well.

2001 Turbo! 4mo Bora 'Boring' | Carbinaro CAI | Fixing broken stuff | Sorting the Turbo Goodness! | BBS Lm's 18x8.5 | KW V2's | 4 pot Brembo's

Very tempting shenanigans, need fronts more than rears. Think I'm gonna get the bc racing br coilovers, so its fresh all round eventually..

So I went with the BC racing coilovers. I got the BR s-03-rn kit. New strut mount and bearings. The quality of the kit is good and the ride is excellent.

I did have to get some nolathane cut to length drop links (42792) to account for the 20mm lower drop link tab on the BC's for the front. 320mm centre to centre on the stock drop links. So I didn't have to cut the nolathane ones as they are 300mm. The fronts are capable of stock height and fit even with 19" 8.5 et 35 rims (just).

The rears drop about 30mm with the highest spring setting which is a 12mm spacer. No adjustable rear perch which was sad. Didn't have to change the droplink though.

Anyways just thought I'd share for those looking around for suspension. Nice ride and no rubbing.