Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boost Leak

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Sorry Gavin yesterday was crazy for me at work.

UPDATE: Boost leak detected with newly upgraded leak tester.

It was a coupler used for the intercooler piping, it started leaking at 5psi! So at 20psi would be mental loud.

I just have no idea how the smoke test performed by Jimmy would not have identified this leak the first time?.... Does anyone know how much psi pressure is applied during a smoke test? I smsd Jimmy and didn't get a reply....

Anyway I'll vagcom my car tonight. Hopefully it's the last leak in my car 😁
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 22-04-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Users Country Flag
    What size fitting did you use for the leak tester?
    Also what did you block off to do the test? Oil cap off, pvc pipe clamped shut?
    Last edited by dubster99; 22-04-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dubster99 View Post
    What size fitting did you use for the leak tester?
    Also what did you block off to do the test? Oil cap off, pvc pipe clamped shut?
    What are you referring as the fitting?

Both the threaded pvc tube and the end cap i bought from Bunnings, The thread for both of these is like an inch long.
    The PVC tube fits my APR silicone turbo inlet pipe perfectly. Clamp it down TIGHT because the PVC pipe does not have a lipped end!
    I drilled a hole in the top of the black end cap a fraction smaller than the threaded Nitto style male coupler. I then forced the coupler to create its own thread in the black end cap.
    All threads I used plumbers tape to ensure no air leaking.

Oil cap off
    I remove the hockey puck from the TIP, and then clamp a Co2 canister in there TIGHT!. It is a perfect fit, but watch out it doesn't slide into the TIP and make sure it does not become a missile.
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/OVvrz.jpg
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 22-04-2017 at 10:01 PM.

UPDATE: Just logged my car and I still have boost leaks. n75 duty cycle still maxxed out.

HOWEVER, The car is much better thou as acceleration is really strong through the rev range. Kinda crazy to think there is still more power after I finalise these leaks. I really think I am down to the tiniest of leaks now.
    I only tested to around 7 psi today because my TIP clamp is quite stuffed.

Just an aside, my FMIC was working really well. The air intake temps were within 10 degrees of ambient air temps.

Attached logs for people who are curious. 2x runs, WOT in 3rd to around 6000rpm.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArCKuFTQ_s3egZtOvsKHmnT6VC4Rzg

I drove the car to the train station this morning, and gave it wot 3rd from 3000rpm off the highway offramp.

The boost strangely slowly built up to 15psi??.. but I should have been on boost already at 3000rpm, car felt flat unlike the other night when it felt fantastic.

Has any one experienced this slow build up of boost before?

Gavin sorry I haven't called you yet, we have been busy moving offices atm.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    wastegate needs adjusting,whats the bet!
    DEEP POCKETS NEEDED

Quote Originally Posted by DAM GTi View Post
    wastegate needs adjusting,whats the bet!
    I highly doubt it, Borg Warner k03s bought new with only 35k on the clock.

I have ordered the following:
    New genuine n75 E revision ($80). Even thou my tests in vagcom tell me that my current n75 is operational, I am sceptical due to the boost fluctuations.

A35HV High flow fuel pump ($200). R-Tech performance list the fuel pump as one of the first things you replace, especially with high milage cars trying to achieve stage 2. I've also been using the 4bar fpr for a while now which apparently stresses the pump even further. The original pump has 210k on the clock.

Silicone boost hoses for the n75 and DV. Mechanic did a temp fix on the DV hose last visit. I thought I would fix this up. I think I have replaced all problematic rubber hoses with silicone pipes now.

I might even just have another leak I haven't identified yet. I'll boost leak test it again.

Users Country Flag
    im sitting strong on 8psi..pulls hard-funny enough?
    no leaks..got told to check the gate -brand spanker BW k03s ..less than 5k on it..take the slack out of it/mark it/3 spins from that point it should be..check that next..limp mode wouldnt hold 8psi would it..fkn hurry up cable already!
    DEEP POCKETS NEEDED

any updates after installing your new N75?

i am too having boost fluctuations, not consistent... im thinking it is my N75 aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    I highly doubt it, Borg Warner k03s bought new with only 35k on the clock.

I have ordered the following:
    New genuine n75 E revision ($80). Even thou my tests in vagcom tell me that my current n75 is operational, I am sceptical due to the boost fluctuations.

A35HV High flow fuel pump ($200). R-Tech performance list the fuel pump as one of the first things you replace, especially with high milage cars trying to achieve stage 2. I've also been using the 4bar fpr for a while now which apparently stresses the pump even further. The original pump has 210k on the clock.

Silicone boost hoses for the n75 and DV. Mechanic did a temp fix on the DV hose last visit. I thought I would fix this up. I think I have replaced all problematic rubber hoses with silicone pipes now.

I might even just have another leak I haven't identified yet. I'll boost leak test it again.
    Passat 1.8T K04 | Audi A3 1.8T | Bora 4Motion

I haven't installed it yet. I am making sure I have eliminated all leaks first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast