Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Alternator? Voltage drop?

Users Country Flag

Bad Alternator? Voltage drop?

hi guys

Hoping someone can offer some advice or suggestions.

I'm having minor electrical problems and on occasion the vehicle won't start without the battery being jumped, but I don't think the battery is the problem, it's still under warranty and is only 18mths - 2yrs old.

Here's the run down;

Charged the battery last week using a 7 stage charger, reconditions, desulphation etc. Drove around for 4 - 5 days, no problems.

Day 6, started noticing my heated seats weren't reaching their normal temp, the headlights flicker when I wind the window up / down, getting a noise coming from my radio which increases with RPM and the cluster has ever so slight flicker. Also once or twice the alarm went off when I started the engine, even though the car was unlocked.

Pulled out the voltmeter and got the following readings immediately after charging the battery (again..)

Car off, Battery reading: 12.65V
    At Idle, Battery reading: 13.35V
    At Idle, Alternator Case to negative terminal on Battery: 0.02V
    At 2,000rpm, Battery reading: 13.25V
    At 2,000rpm and under load (Lights, A/C etc.. all on), reading at battery: 13.15V
    At 2,000rpm and under load, Alternator Case to negative terminal on Battery: 0.13V
    Parasitic draw test which was 0.02amps

There is zero clearance between the alternator and the fan assembly in a 4motion so before I pull the front bar off and put the lock carrier into the service position to start inspecting the alternator, is there anything I have missed??
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

I'd be looking at all connections/terminals including battery, fuse links and especially engine to chassis/battery the earth cable for a loose bolt as I suspect being only two years old connections shouldn't be dirty or corroded.

If it's still under warranty why are you stuffing around with it yourself? Bad Alternator? Voltage drop?

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Pulled every fuse in the cabin and under the hood last night and they're all good. But I did notice this.
    Bad Alternator? Voltage drop?-img_6398-jpg

Ground cable is rubbing a screw head on my Forge CAI. Even though I don't think this is causing a short, it's process of elimination so I pulled CAI out and put the stock box back.

Woke up this morning, unlocked the car, went to start... Nothing... Reds on but no other noise. Then for some reason my alarm starting going off... Put the voltmeter on and it was reading 12.36V, surely enough to crank. Put the jump pack on anyways, car started straight away. Didn't even have to reset the clock.
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Quote Originally Posted by weonarok View Post
    I'd be looking at all connections/terminals including battery, fuse links and especially engine to chassis/battery the earth cable for a loose bolt as I suspect being only two years old connections shouldn't be dirty or corroded.

If it's still under warranty why are you stuffing around with it yourself? Bad Alternator? Voltage drop?

Cheers dave
    Thanks mate, I'll jack it up and start checking the ground connections.. Just to clarify the Battery is still under warranty, not the car it's 13yrs old. Battery is holding charge, cleaned the posts and terminals everything appears good battery wise.

btw "You don't know what you don't know", haha love it

Ok. So if car is that old then it's bound to be a bad connection.

I know this may sound stupid but check the actual cable connections at the battery.
    The reason behind my thinking is that if the battery voltage is fine but won't start you are then probably connecting your jumper leads to the cable terminals, therefore bypassing a bad battery connection.

I have seen this happen to my sons Lux and was told by a NRMA road techie that his starter motor was shot.

$300 later didn't fix it and all it was a dirty connection at the battery.

Cheers dave

If it is of any assistance I believe that an alternator has to produce at least 13.8volts to charge the battery. I have had to replace the alternator 3 times on my Bora.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    If it is of any assistance I believe that an alternator has to produce at least 13.8volts to charge the battery. I have had to replace the alternator 3 times on my Bora.
    I would have thought the same but he did say that his battery was 12.65v and 12.36v standing, so his alternator must be charging to maintain these voltages.

Also, if the alternator detects that the battery is fully charged the voltage will drop off to avoid over charging. I think a battery at 12.5v (from memory) is considered to be 100% SOC.

After continuous short runs my battery gets down to 11.9v and still starts (diesel). An overnight boost with a 240v charger every couple of weeks brings it back up.

I would also see what the voltage is at the battery post only, and then the positive cable terminal and body earth while cranking. If will pin point your issue.

Cheers dave

Users Country Flag
    Regulators are set to prevent over voltages. The current varies depending on the load. Lights and fans on, more current output. And vice versa. Dont confuse offload voltage with the ability to start the engine. A high resistance in circuit could drop enough to prevent a start.

Quote Originally Posted by weonarok View Post
    Ok. So if car is that old then it's bound to be a bad connection.

I know this may sound stupid but check the actual cable connections at the battery.
    The reason behind my thinking is that if the battery voltage is fine but won't start you are then probably connecting your jumper leads to the cable terminals, therefore bypassing a bad battery connection.
    My bad Dave, forgot to mention first thing I did was clean the posts and cable terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    That's a bunch of times!... How did you determine it was the alternator?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast