Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4motion clutch issues

Users Country Flag

4motion clutch issues

Yep, exciting times. My 4motion was going just fine for a couple of months,then one day, I thought it slipped when I drove off. About a week later, it started slipping like a b____. So, it is up on jack stands and I am giving it a go myself. It may be an oil seal or the clutch.

I acquired the necessary triple square drivers and a guide to swapping out the clutch.

I even made a tool to remove the deeply-positioned 6mm Allen bolt so I could remove the transfer case that was welded to a 1/4 inch socket. It bent and broke at my ****ty weld, so I made up a better version with better welds and a 3/8 inch socket.
    4motion clutch issues-img_20180416_104003[1]-jpg

When I tried it out, the tool did not break but, instead of a nice crack of the bolt, I got a soft, squishy give that indicated the bolt head was going to strip out instead of coming out. Not what was wanted.

What can I do? Can I access the clutch without removing the transfer case? Is there a way to remove this bolt?

Thanks,
    Tony.

Users Country Flag
    In theory, if you break the head off the bolt, you'll be able to deal with it, once the transfer case is out of the way, as the rest of the bolt will be in the gearbox.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    In theory, if you break the head off the bolt, you'll be able to deal with it, once the transfer case is out of the way, as the rest of the bolt will be in the gearbox.
    Well, yes, but while the inside of the Allen head will round out, the rest of the head will remain, not snapping off.

Ultimately, I may have to drill the head out if I weld up a 400mm long drill bit. A last resort.

I did visit a VW mechanic, who was a bit grumpy. He was keen to charge me $1400 for a clutch kit and replacement dual mass flywheel, sight unseen, and became even grumpier when I suggested I could get parts cheaper from the net, muttering that he wasn't gonna do the job, etc. I left his workshop feeling very unenthused.

Cheers...

Users Country Flag
    Did you try bashing the Allen key into the bolt with a hammer, to ensure it has seated fully?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

That's a good idea. Right now, it is a little loose [I haven't stuffed it completely, just yet], but I will give it a try.

Hey, I just discovered [via Dr Google] that a 8mm triple square driver can be bashed into a rooted 6mm Allen socket and may do the job. Stay tuned.

Users Country Flag
    You only get one chance though.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I've had good luck hammering the allen head in, most recently on my mates peugot 306, it wasn't a good fit and was rounding out, so we gave it a couple good wacks to realy seat it deep in the socket and worked great, we bought a new bolt though to put back in

Right, made the tool, chopped up a shiny new 8mm triple square driver and butchered a good screwdriver to make this:
    4motion clutch issues-img_20180417_104723[1]-jpg
    So,it worked. I think it was loosened using the previous tool.

BTW, this is how I gained strut clearance:
    4motion clutch issues-img_20180417_120053_1[1]-jpg

Then I found I needed a 16mm spanner and an 18mm socket, so after cutting my finger, I called it a day. Supercheap had spanners for $2 each, so they were actually cheap for a change.

Questions:
    1. I will be removing the flywheel to check the oil seal, is there a test for dual mass flywheel tolerance/ wear?
    2. Can I reuse flywheel bolts?
    3. Where can I get a clutch, flywheel, bolts, transfer case o-rings, etc.?
    Last edited by TonyG; 17-04-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: error

"Can of worms" time:

Should I get the cheaper single plate clutch kit? Surely a VR6 runs more smoothly than a 4 or 5 cylinder engine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast