Thread: 2003 GTI AGU surging and stalling

Users Country Flag

Question 2003 GTI AGU surging and stalling

Hi guys,

New on here.
    I recently bought a 2003 GTI with the cable-throttle AGU engine - 180000km.
    I've had the car fully serviced - all filters, new plugs, 2.0TSI coils and new timing belt kit and water pump.

It's got an intermittent surging under load - at partial to full throttle the car gradually starts surging which causes an almost-violent bucking which makes a loud clunking from the engine area. If I gradually increase throttle input nothing happens - RPM will stay 900-1000. When I release the throttle the engine will immediately stall. Restarts fine, and the problem seems to go away for a day or so. Really strange.

From doing some reading online, it could be a faulty MAF sensor, N75 valve, fuel pressure regulator... it goes on. Before I start sinking money into it I'd rather get a few opinions and experiences here!

Thanks all

Users Country Flag
    How can you be running 2.0tsi coils on an agu? Is that possible?

Ok I notice there are are ICM delete kits available. Do you have a 034 Motorsport bypass kit? Why would anyone want to do this unless your changing over to me7...
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 08-06-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Btw I had the same experience and it was the maf, unplug your maf and see if you have any further problems.

Users Country Flag
    Intermittent airleak after the maf. Do you have a boost gauge, is it over boosting?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    Why would anyone want to do this unless your changing over to me7...

I read that the 2.0TSI coils are more reliable and produce a stronger spark, as I plan on a remap/boost increase down the track. The coils that were in the car were original so it was part of maintenance and eliminating any potential coil or ICM issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    Btw I had the same experience and it was the maf, unplug your maf and see if you have any further problems.

I will try this, seems to be one of the more popular tests.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Intermittent airleak after the maf. Do you have a boost gauge, is it over boosting?

So between MAF and throttle body? No boost gauge yet, it's on the shopping list though.

Users Country Flag
    So are you bypassing your ICM with the new coils?

Yes, ICM is eliminated and it's running 07K905715G coils. I installed them with new plugs a month ago and they've been running nicely.

Drove the car to work this morning with MAF sensor unplugged, seems to drive fine but will need to leave it off for a few days to ensure the random problem doesn't come up. New sensors from VW (exchange part) are readily available which is nice.

Had the MAF sensor off for a few days now and it's behaving itself overall, just really sluggish obviously in a 'safe mode'. Going to order a new MAF sensor today.