Thread: 2001 VW Bora Dash Gauge Issues

Users Country Flag

2001 VW Bora Dash Gauge Issues

Hi all.

Tried combing the forums briefly to see if any one else has come across this issue. I have a 2001 VW Bora which is starting to show some issues with the dash gauges. They intermittently freeze up or don't work at all. Further to that, I have noticed that when the gauges freeze up, the odometer, trip meter and centre red display thingy also lock up. Other than that the backlighting and all of the other gauge lights operate as normal.

So far I have had the battery, alternator & starter checked by Supercheap Auto's free battery tester and all OK as far as they are concerned. I have also given the instrument cluster a bit of a bash to rule out dry joints/loose connections but to no effect. I have recently had the battery disconnected and charged but also had no effect on the gauges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stuart.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Ok since I posted this I have noticed that the dash only plays up on cold days. We had a run of cold (ish) overcast and rainy days and the dash gauges pretty much gave up. All the different lights and backlighting still worked but no speedo, tacho, fuel gauge or temp gauge and the centre information display would either not come on at all or would come on briefly and lock up (usually when the info screen would come on the gauges would work temporarily, but would lock up again when the info display locked up). All other car functions would still work ok and no change when the engine would warm up or when I turned the heater on. Also no change with varying engine revs or vehicle speed or by driving over bumps.

Its got me stumped at the moment and I don't want to just trial and error change parts over. Also a bit short on cash so don't want to take it to a Mechanic/ Auto Electrician just yet. If anyone has had this issue or knows someone who has, any helpful tip or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stuart.